Agentless, cloud-native backup for Amazon Web Services (AWS)
nusol_sc
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam backup server cannot access the internet

Post by nusol_sc »

I am trying to configure email but have been unable to do so. The server simply cannot reach the remote SMTP server. I have tried using our hosted SMTP server (Network Solutions) as well as Amazon SES to no avail. Outbound rules in the security group allow all traffic out (the default).

The Veeam server doesn't have an elastic IP, nor does it even have a public IP (I didn't see an option have auto-assign a public IP when configuring/deploying like you have when you launch a new EC2 instance). The route table on the server looks similar to other servers that can access the internet and have public IPs with the exception of a single missing entry associated with the virtual bridge device on those other servers. We do not have a NAT gateway set up as we haven't needed one...yet.

Did I miss something when setting things up? Should the server have been assigned a public IP?
dalbertson
Veeam Software
Liked: 175 times
Full Name: Dustin Albertson

Re: Veeam backup server cannot access the internet

Post by dalbertson »

During the deployment in the cloud formation phase there is an option to assign an elastic ip. Your subnet is most likely set to not assign elastic ips. You could create an elastic ip and assign it to the Veeam instance and reboot to try.
Dustin Albertson | Director of Product Management - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances
nusol_sc
Novice

Post by nusol_sc »

There is a difference between a Public IP and an Elastic IP. We only have 5 Elastic IPs and all are in use (at the moment) so I can't assing one. Elastic IPs are static, whereas Public IPs are not. The subnet default is to assign Public IPs, but that didn't happen.
nusol_sc
Novice

Post by nusol_sc »

Bah! I just double checked and the subnet default is NOT to assign a public IP address. My bad. Am I going to need to launch a new instance?
nusol_sc
Novice

Post by nusol_sc »

I whacked the instance and stack and started over. All is now well. *slaps forehead*
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

Great to see it works now. Any additional feedback is welcome.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen