Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
nvdwansem
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times

Object storage repository cleanup

Post by nvdwansem »

I've raised this question before but I would like to know more about the Object storage repository cleanup, is there someone I can talk to about it? So not a reference to documentation but actual details. If I need to contact my VEEAM guy to get this done please let me know in the reply.

Why you might wonder, my gut tells me there's more data in Object Storage than there should be.

Also this raises questions:

14-7-2020 12:29:20 Downloading storage ****************.vbk from object storage

Why does it download files when doing a rescan of the SOBR?
Maxim Karganov
Influencer
Liked: 6 times

Re: Object storage repository cleanup

Post by Maxim Karganov »

Hello Nvdwansem,

This may happen when some of the backup files are missing on Performance Tier while a record about them still persists in the metadata file. In this case, the missing data will be downloaded from Capacity Tier during the rescan operation.

I would suggest raising a support case with our engineers in order to have a look at the technical details. Please, don't forget to share your support case ID with the community. Thanks.
nvdwansem
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times

Post by nvdwansem »

Okay will do that, I actually thought there were people from VEEAM here who know how this stuff works, guess I was wrong.

Also for the record, I did a search for a file which had been "downloaded" from object storage but couldn't find it on any of the SOBR members.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

We do know how to stuff works ;) and Maxim's answer to your question above is totally correct.

But for example to check on your gut feeling, debug log review is required to confirm whether the amount of data in object storage is correct. Knowing how it should work alone is not enough. For example, some object storage vendors do funny stuff (like mandatory object versioning or minimum storage time), there's always a possibility of bugs in either object storage side or in Veeam, etc.

As far as detailed processes/algorithms, they are not published in the documentation to protect our IP and now-hows. But for clean up specifically, it's pretty straightforward: any object that is no longer used in any restore point is automatically deleted from object storage.