Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
JakeT11
Novice
Liked: never

Offsite HyperV replication job without VPN

Post by JakeT11 »

Hello everyone,

I have reviewed the guides and other forum posts to plan my implementation and would appreciate if you guys had any suggestions.

I would like to run a replication job to between HypverV hosts over WAN to without a site to site VPN and to my understanding WAN accelerators is the only option ?

Replicating ~5 VMs
We will move the base files to DR site via USB
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 526 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Offsite HyperV replication job without VPN

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

The only mandatory requirement is to have a network link for data transfer between source and target sites.

The usage of WAN-accelerator is optional but is highly recommended for data transfer optimization in case of insufficient network bandwidth between remote sites.
The low-bandwidth mode is fine for links slower than 100 Mbps and high-bandwidth mode is recommended for WAN connections faster than 100 Mbps.
However, the direct data transfer without WAN accelerators will be still preferable for connections faster than 1 Gbps.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Having a VPN connection is recommended for security reasons though.
JakeT11
Novice

Post by JakeT11 »

PetrM wrote: Jul 17, 2020 7:50 pm Hello,

The only mandatory requirement is to have a network link for data transfer between source and target sites.

The usage of WAN-accelerator is optional but is highly recommended for data transfer optimization in case of insufficient network bandwidth between remote sites.
The low-bandwidth mode is fine for links slower than 100 Mbps and high-bandwidth mode is recommended for WAN connections faster than 100 Mbps.
However, the direct data transfer without WAN accelerators will be still preferable for connections faster than 1 Gbps.

Thanks!
Thank you PetrM, I am missing some feature or technical information to achieve this, is there a document on how to setup the "network link", from my experience with other backup products, there is usually ports that need to be opened and authentication to be setup.
I am currently testing with the community version of B&R, please let me know if this is only in the Pro version.
JakeT11
Novice

Post by JakeT11 »

Please disregard my previous reply,
I found the ports required and setup port forwards according to this document but I cannot add the DR Hypver V server as a stand alone HypverV server to backup infrastructure on the Source's B&R console.

I am able to add it as HyperV Standalone Server in DR's B&R Console itself.
I am able to add it as a Microsoft Windows over WAN in Source's B&R
The error says invalid credentials or specified host is not a HyperV server

Credentials are correct because I used them to add it as a Windows sever.
The hyperV server on the DR side is a hyperV server with 10+ VMs on it.

In case its a port issue, I am forwarding these ports to the B&R server on the DR side.
(TCP) 135, 137, 138, 139, 445, 6160, 6162, 6163, 6170, 2500-3300
(UDP) 135, 137, 138, 139, 445
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Could you please check that the DR Hyper-V server meets the requirements specified in our release notes (page 4)?

Thanks!
JakeT11
Novice

Post by JakeT11 »

DR Hyper-V server is Running Windows server 2019 1809 and is showing up to date.
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Can I ask you to raise a support request and to share the case ID with us? Looks like a closer look at debug logs is needed.

Thanks!