Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
mastermind76
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jo Verbiest

Failover group overloaded

Post by mastermind76 »

Hi,

Our nworks Enterprise Manager is alerting on it's (only) failover group. Status : Overloaded ; Monitoring Load: 113 %

How do we remediate as we are planning to add additional hosts to our environment?

Thanks in advance,
vBPav
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Brian Pavnick

Re: Failover group overloaded

Post by vBPav »

Hello Jo,

I would recommend referencing our nworks Management Pack for VMware 5.6 Deployment Planning Guide (http://www.veeam.com/nworks_mp_for_vmwa ... ide_pg.pdf). On page 17 under, "Estimating Resources" we explain that there is a scalability limit to each nworks Collector. My recommendation to you is to deploy additional nworks Collectors to meet capacity needs of your vSphere Infrastructure.

Also, please note that there was a bug in nworks MP 5.5.2 monitoring a vSphere 4.1 Infrastructure that caused the number of ESX Host Hardware Sensor objects to balloon. This was resolved in nworks MP 5.6.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions regarding the nworks Infrastructure and Architecture.

Thanks!

-Brian
Brian Pavnick | Cireson| Solutions Architect

- Follow me on Twitter @ vbpav
- Reach me on e-mail @ brian.pavnick@cireson.com
thomaxx
Novice
Full Name: Thomas Loicht

Post by thomaxx »

Hello Brian,

i have a similar problem, the only different is that i reach the monitoring load limit with only one vmware cluster.
We have two nworks collectors. One collector monitors 4 vmware cluster and reaches 46% monitoring load. The second collector monitors only 1 vmware cluster with up to 20 vmware hosts an over 200 vm's and reaches the load limit (102%). Is there a way to move some vmware host from this cluster to the other collector. I only have the option to move the whole vmware cluster to another collector.
I am also a little bit confused, because in the Failover Group the monitoring load for this collector shows 51% and a object count from 5123 objects. The collector view it self shows 102% and with the same object count (5123).

thanks

thomas
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 361 times

Post by Alec King »

Hello Thomas,

Well - to solve your issue with the very large Cluster - nworks 5.7 has the answer :D

In nworks 5.7 we are introducing the feature of 'Cluster Splitting' - this means that a single cluster job can now be automatically split into individual host jobs, and you can load-balance those jobs across two (or more) Collectors.

At the moment, although you are overloaded - 102% is not very serious overloading. Are you seeing any performance issues from the Ops Mgr agent on that Collector server? There is some tuning you can do (collection intervals, metric classes and multipliers and so on) that will improve the performance. Please see our Operations Guide for details, let me know if you have any questions!

Why you are seeing two different values (51% and 102%) for the same Collector I am not sure - could you open a case with our support for that? It's support at veeam.com. From what you say on object count, 102% is the correct value.

Meantime - I think you can run at 102% load until we can release 5.7 - it is coming very soon (later this quarter; and I hope not too much later :wink: )
Right now we have a beta of 5.7 - would you like to join the beta program? As with all betas, we don't recommend it for production use (possible upgrade issues to RTM, etc) - but we would love to get your feedback! And it could be your POC of 5.7, then you will be ready to deploy as soon as we release....
If you would like to join the beta, please post here and let me know!

Regards,
Alec
Alec King
Vice President, Product Management
Veeam Software
thomaxx
Novice
Full Name: Thomas Loicht

Post by thomaxx »

Hello Alec,

thanks for your information and for the invitation to join the beta, but we don't have a test environment.
And i don't use the beta release for production.

Best Regards,
Thomas