Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Goas
Novice
Liked: never

Exclude days from a schedule

Post by Goas »

Good Morning,

I want to schedule a daily backup with 30-day retention, and a monthly backup in a separate job with 1-year retention, to run on the 1st of each month.
The monthly job will execute an active full any day of the week, but it will only be executed on the 1st of each month according to scheduler, so that whenever it is launched, it will execute a full backup.
How can I make the daily backup not run the day the monthly will run?
I've managed to plan everything, but I can't find an option to exclude days of the month from a job

Thank you very much in advance
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Exclude days from a schedule

Post by foggy »

Why don't you want to use GFS retention for that scenario, to have just a single job for both tasks?
Goas
Novice

Post by Goas »

Because GFS is for backup copy jobs and in my case, each daily and monthly backup is made to disk, and then tape. Is it possible to get what I want with GFS retention?

Thanks for the help
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

With v10 you can also configure GFS with the regular backup jobs as well. You could configure the job to perform active fulls monthly and keep them as GFS restore points for the required number of months.
Goas
Novice

Post by Goas »

Thanks for the reply! that's great, but we currently have Veeam backup in version 9.5
I will consider updating the Veeam backup server, but is there not a way in my current version to do what I intend?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Ok, then the second job is indeed required, either a monthly full backup or a backup copy job with monthly GFS. In the first case, there's no way to prevent the daily job from running on the day the second job runs, unless you involve some scripting to check whether the second job ran on that day, prior to running the daily one.
Goas
Novice

Post by Goas »

Okay, thanks for the help. I will try to test backup copy job until I update Veeam to v10