Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jamcool
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Jason Mount

Veeam Backup Server sizing

Post by jamcool »

I am looking for any documentation on recommend sizing (CPU and RAM namely) for Backup server. I have read the system requirements (URL below) but there nothing about sizing (more CPU, more RAM, etc.) and more of a starting point.

We have upgraded from 9.5 to 10 (with patch 2) and it just seems like the CPU usage is higher and if I give SQL 2016 ENT more memory (memory limit), it just takes it. Currently I am backing up daily about 2,000 VMs, 50 agents (physical and unique VMs) and doing a copy job for them. Our dedicated backup server is currently 8 vCPU and 48 GB of RAM. It pretty much uses 28 GB for SQL, about 8 GB for all the Veeam.Backup.Manager processes and about 8 GB standby. I am just wondering if this server is now undersized since going to version 10 or if I have an issue. We reboot the server 1-2 a month. I have not opened a case as I just trying to figure out if my backup server is sized properly.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... kup_server
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam Backup Server sizing

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
the recommended amount of RAM / CPU is based on the concurrent amount of jobs. "jobs" also includes backup copy jobs, SQL log shipping etc.

https://vbr.veeambp.com/VBP/2_Design_St ... erver.html
1 CPU core (physical or virtual) and 4 GB RAM per 10 concurrently running jobs.
For SQL: did you cap the maximum memory usage, or is SQL server running with default settings (meaning it grabs all free RAM)?

We have heard about higher CPU / RAM usage after upgrade before CU2. So it would be nice if you could check the amount of jobs that are running in your environment. If that does not fit, then it would be great if you could open a case and post the case number.

Best regards,
Hannes