Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
jonathanb
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jonathan Boon

NAS Backup to Scale out repository.

Post by jonathanb »

Hi,

I am just doing some testing with Veeam. I have created a scale out respository using Wasabi and configured a NAS file share backup and some VM/Agent backups to it.

The VM/agent backups immediately start a SOBRTiering job on completion and copy the backup data to Wasabi, but this doesn't happen with the NAS backup and the automatic job that runs reports no backups to copy.

Is this expected behaviour or should the NAS backups be offloading to Wasabi?

Thanks
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: NAS Backup to Scale out repository.

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forum.

That is expected behavior.

1) SOBR capacity tier is not used today. there is no copy to capacity tier for NAS data today
2) offload only happens to archive tier for the configured conditions. No change (or no deletion) means no offload.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

Best regards,
Hannes
jonathanb
Novice

Post by jonathanb » 1 person likes this post

Hi Hannes,

Thank you for clarifying. At least I know I'm not doing something wrong now and just need to find a different solution.

Do you know if there are plans to introduce off site copies of file share backup on the future? Seems a bit odd to restrict a backup to local only.

Thanks
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

as for the near future, only backup copy jobs are / will be available.

copy to object storage is something we have in mind, but it's nothing that will happen in foreseeable future
jonathanb
Novice

Post by jonathanb »

Hi Hannes,

Just in case I missing something here, can you clarify something please? When you say "only backup copy jobs" are available. The file share backup is a backup job, added via Backup Job > File Share.

But you are saying that this type of backup job is not compatible with off site copy? Presumably something to do with the way it works and files are stored?

Thanks
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
it depends what you mean with "offsite copy". As you mentioned Wasabi before, I assume that you were talking about object storage.

The capabilities available today are described in the user guide. And sure, the second repository can be "offsite" (and actually should be). https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100

Best regards,
Hannes
JonJR
Enthusiast
Liked: 17 times
Full Name: Jon Rhoades

Backups not being copied to S3

Post by JonJR »

I have a File Share backup job of a VM that I have set the Backup Repository to be a SOBR repo. The SOBR repo has a Linux repo as the performance tier and an S3 bucket for capacity.

For the backup job I have selected:
  • Backup repo -the SOBR
  • Keep file versions for 28 days
  • Un ticked - Keep previous version of files for..
  • No secondary repositories
On the SOBR I have selected
  • Extend SOBR with capacity & selected the S3 bucket
  • Copy backups as soon as they are created
  • Encrypt data
When the backup job runs, it successfully backs up to the performance tier, but the copy to S3 doesn't happen. I can see any errors or issue in the log. Is there some incompatibility I have missed or some other setting required to get it to copy the backup to S3?

Thanks in advance!
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 635 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi Jon,

I merged your post with the existing thread. Please have a look at the discussion above.
You can use object storage as an archive repository, but file share backups to capacity tier are not yet supported.
Check out our list of storage types supported as NAS backup job targets.

Thanks,
Oleg
tedcupp
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ted Cupp

Post by tedcupp »

Are there any plans to either allow NAS backups to be copied to object store through a copy job or through the use of Scale-out storage? We have a large amount of data that is written once and never changed so it never meets the "archive" criteria and thus never gets moved/copied to object storage. This is a huge gap since we don't have tape infrastructure and need an offsite copy.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, this is planned.
marph
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Matthias Kasper

Post by marph »

Hello,

just found this thread while searching for a solution to backup/copy our file shares to object storage. Are there any news in the meantime? Do you know if/when this feature will be released?

Thank you in advance!
Matthias
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Matthias,

Already now with v11, you can archive older file versions to an object storage repository with the help of the archive repository feature.

Speaking about future plans, we hope you understand we cannot share any ETA.

Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Matthias,

Can you please share with us what would be the desirable setup? What type of object storage you plan to use? What would be the source data and rough estimate on amount of data / amount of objects you plan to backup? Thank you in advance!
dandav
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Daniel Davis

Post by dandav »

Gostev wrote: Dec 22, 2020 10:34 pm Yes, this is planned.
Whilst this is in the works it might be an idea to disable the ability for any backups that do not support the full SOBR feature set to utilise SOBR as a target by default. This could enabled by a specific user override in the SOBR configuration or a warning when utilising SOBR for a NAS backup target, that way the user clearly understands the limitations of using SOBR as a NAS target. As it stands the current implementation is not nearly clear enough about these limitations.

Automatic offloading/copying backups to S3 was a key feature in our purchase of Veeam, it's disappointing that your sales reps failed to warn us of this limitation when backing up NAS. You really need to make this clear in your promotional material as you advertise the benefits of SOBR on the storage integrations page on your website even though it doesn't actually work (https://www.veeam.com/storage-integrati ... -text-link) and don't mention the limitation in any of the advertising material we were provided (Veeam VBR One 10 Editions Comparison & Advanced Guide to NAS Backups from Storage Snapshots PDFs). Having to roll out AWS Tape Gateway to copy NAS backups to S3 isn't the end of the world but it's a bit of a pain and one extra component we would have liked to not have to worry about.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
the next release to change the behavior would be V12. At VeeamON (end of May) we announced that we plan to do backups directly to object storage in V12. So the change would become irrelevant then.
Having to roll out AWS Tape Gateway to copy NAS backups to S3 isn't the end of the world but
depending on the amount of data and how you plan to do it, this sounds like something I suggest to avoid for scalability and usability reasons.

Best regards,
Hannes
dandav
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Daniel Davis

Post by dandav »

Hannes,

I agree it's not the ideal option, however offloading backup files to AWS Tape Gateway was the simplest option I could find for cloud backup copies with immutability.

What would you recommend instead of AWS Tape Gateway that allows for NAS backup copies to cloud storage with immutability?

Daniel
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

I don't know which amount of data you have. But if you think about VTL, then it's probably so little data that a large USB disk can do it. That's what I would do instead of building "hacks"

Or a copy job to a system that I power off.