Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
HErceg
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Hrvoje Erceg

Testing restore

Post by HErceg »

Hello,

I am planning to test VM restoration made by Veeam v10, but before that I have a few questions about best practice.Source is domain joined SQL server, without transaction logs.
In another words test VM should be clone, while source should stay on during test..

Should I restore entire VM to a new location, disconnected and powered off, and with changed UID.After powering on I can change name and IP.
Is Backup copy job also applicable for SQL server?I read somewhere that BCJ doesn't store AAP?
Are there any other elements related to SQL, like possible licensing issues?Same question applies in case of disaster of original SQL server.In case of disaster, server would be restored with original settings, but in different location.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Testing restore

Post by foggy »

Hi Hrvoje, the best approach would be using SureBackup that was specifically designed for recovery verification in an isolated environment. As for the backup copy related question, then it is a bit perpendicular to AAIP as it copies data from the backups created by regular backup jobs, not from production VMs. So backups created by backup copy jobs will contain the same VM state that the regular backups contain (be it backups with AAIP enabled or not).
HErceg
Enthusiast

Post by HErceg »

Hi Foggy,

Thank you for the info.I use Veeam on 2 locations, with Community and Enterprise versions respectively.For latter SureBackup will be tested, but I was wondering about Community edition.Do you think process mentioned above will work?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Yes, the described approach should work as well. Thanks!
HErceg
Enthusiast

Post by HErceg »

Hi Foggy,

I noticed there is no option to change VHD name during restoration process.Therefore it is impossible to restore/clone it on the same server
Is it possible to consider this for a feature request?

Wasn't there an option to change IP?I think I saw it a while ago.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You can restore a disk as a file first and then rename it, if this is applicable in your scenario.

There's an option to specify network mapping in case of a restore to an alternative location.