Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Veeam Agent data path to SMB repository?

Post by pkelly_sts »

I recently deployed a config backing up some physical servers with this general approach (which I know isn't perfect but it's a start for now):

Veeam Agent deployed to 6 physical servers
VBR server deployed as a VM on a newly deployed (LOCAL) ESX host, shared with a vCenter instance.
Repository configured on a local Synology NAS (SMB)
A second Synology NAS initially deployed locally to BTRFS replicate to which was then moved off-site and replication still working well (yes I know this isn't the best approach but it is temporary until we get proxy resources deployed on each side of the WAN link which will then allow me to do Veeam Backup copies natively)

All was tested & working well. I then continued my plan & moved the ESX box off-site (to the same location as the second Synology, on the basis that if the primary site had a catastrophic issue, we at least had QUICK access to our restoration mechanism without having to first build a recovery server etc.).

The problem I found was, having moved the VBR server to the second site, when I started the backups again they were chronically slow, and it basically seemed to me like the backup traffic was traversing the WAN & back again, even though the physical servers (and their installed agents) and the destination repository were both on the same site!

My first thought was - damn, need to deploy a new proxy on the local site anyway which I did (onto a little-used server/pc) but when I went to reconfigure the job to use the replacement proxy, I realised that there's no way to select a proxy on a Veeam Agent job anyway so then I was immediately stumped!

So, can anyone tell me what I've missed as far as the data path is concerned? I don't expect the VBR server to have ANY involvement in the data at all, I assumed (perhaps incorrectly?) that the agents would talk directly to the SMB repository? If not, how do I edit the job to make use of the second proxy to it's local SMB repository?

Thanks!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Veeam Agent data path to SMB repository?

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Paul,
It is not about Proxy Servers, but rather Repository Gateway Servers.
When initial configuration took place you have selected Veeam Server as default Gateway Server (Automatic Selection) for Synology NAS Repository, thus agent backup jobs(Server edition managed by Veeam Server, right?) are actually using offsite VBR to access local NAS, making an inefficient traffic loop. Please, make sure to set local-to-site Gateway Server and traffic shall pass in a more adequate manner.
Note that Workstation Policy(aka Managed by Agent) can bypass that requirement, and backup will be done Agent->NAS without Gateway servers in place.
/Thanks!
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts »

Ah, ok, the gateway server is a new role to me (having only previously dealt with enterprise repositories) - is it possible to add a gateway server role to an already managed server without adding another repository? In other words how can I easily change the gateway for an existing repository?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Sure thing, just edit Repository settings - on second step, "Share", you will have a choice for Gateway Server selection. Veeam can use any Windows Managed server as a Gateway Server(aka added under Backup Infrastructure -> Windows Servers).
/Cheers!
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts »

Ahhh... no idea how I missed that! Sorted now, many thanks!