Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
johnbo
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Fixing Metadata problem

Post by johnbo »

When I try to restore a entire computer to a earlier date I get a error during the process that I have a Metadata file error then it stops.. is there anyway to go around this to recover the image?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Fixing Metadata problem

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Check with Veeam Support for potential meta fix. Veeam Backup and Replication also could be used to read data from the backup.
/Cheers!
johnbo
Enthusiast

Post by johnbo »

Ok..... But from what I am reading there is NO WAY to recover such a backup file.. what the "*ell"
What good is this when you need to recover a image? ....how can we tell if our images are any good? ...especially when you need it and then go to find out it does not work?
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Don't jump into quick decisions - corrupted meta is not the same as corrupted backup(that is, data file .vbk with actual backup might be intact).
First of all, we should find why meta file has incorrect information about actual backup chain and if its possible to fix it. Feel free to open a ticket and upload said meta file(.vbm) at my.veeam.com
/Thanks!
johnbo
Enthusiast

Post by johnbo »

Ok I will do so
johnbo
Enthusiast

Post by johnbo »

Ok the first response i got from the system is:

Hello,

Thank you for your update!
Currently, your case involves one of our free products, which are supported on a best-effort basis via email only. We understand that this issue is important for you, and will do our best to assist you, but this will depend on resource availability. Your patience and understanding is appreciated!

If you believe your case has been opened under one of our free products in error, please reach out to our Support Management Team by using the “Talk to a Manager” button as shown here, and provide us with a valid support ID, and we will adjust the case accordingly.

Thank you,
Veeam Support Management
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

It is an automated reply from free products tier. Can you please share case ID?
/Thanks!
johnbo
Enthusiast

Post by johnbo »

Case #04302422
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Thanks for info.
QA has checked attached meta file and it is in perfect condition - no corruption found(structure and IDs are valid) and test restore could have been initiated without problems.
Please, boot from your recovery media again, initiate Recovery and get to the point where you receive an error and after error pops again, quit back to Recovery Media main screen and launch Export Logs option. Upload said logs to the same case at my.veeam.com for inspection.
/Thanks!
johnbo
Enthusiast

Post by johnbo »

I ended up using a windows backup that quickly restored the system, wasn't going to play around trying to figure why it would not work.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Thanks for update!
Glad it sorted out, even though we didn't lure the root cause of recovery failure.