Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
SlobodanL
Novice
Liked: never

Restore to AWS EC2 - Specify private IP

Post by SlobodanL »

Hello,

I am wondering if there is plan to add a function to specify private IP during restore to AWS EC2 instance. Currently we can define VPC, subnet and Security group.
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 635 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Re: Restore to AWS EC2 - Specify private IP

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi,

Do you mean private IP for VM being restored or a proxy appliance being deployed during restoration process?

Thanks!
Oleg
SlobodanL
Novice

Post by SlobodanL »

I mean private IP for VM which is being restored, similar to deploying instance from AMI.

Thanks
AndryLBJ
Novice
Full Name: Andrea

Post by AndryLBJ »

I have exactly the same question.

How it is possible that there is no option to set a private IP address in the restore process?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You can select "do not assign" option in the Public IP settings. This way, restored instance will have only private IP. Does it answer your requirements? You're looking for a way to set the specific private IP? Thanks!
AndryLBJ
Novice

Post by AndryLBJ »

I'm looking for a way to set a specific private IP..

i would like to use the restore in a scenario of a completly disaster recovery of all my on prem machine to the cloud, and for some machine changing the private ip is a no go.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Thanks, Andrea, for sharing additional details regarding your case - the request looks valid, consider your voice heard.
AndryLBJ
Novice

Post by AndryLBJ »

Is possible to have a roadmap on this?
Cause i see similar post on the internet, that says that in 2019 (Veeam 9.5) it was sayed that this will be addedd as a future suggestions.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

We addressed the original request and after 9.5 release we added ability to skip public IP allocation.

As to setting specific private IP, currently we cannot provide any roadmap for this feature request.

Thanks!
ldeeder
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Larry Deeder

Post by ldeeder »

Is there any update to setting the Private IP? This is a VERY important function when dealing with DR of a production environment. You cannot just change the IP of a Domain Controller and expect everything to work.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Is there any update to setting the Private IP?
Currently it's not implemented, and at this time we cannot comment on our future plans.
You cannot just change the IP of a Domain Controller and expect everything to work.
Can we assume that network infrastructure is all set and ready at the time of restore? In other words, corresponding VPC and subnet with proper IP-addressing will be created beforehand, and all product will need is to give user ability to specify particular address from the defined range?

Thanks!
ldeeder
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Larry Deeder

Post by ldeeder »

That is correct. The VPC and subnet are all established. I do have to say that it seems like poor design that you cannot specify a private IP. I see posts all over this forum and the internet about the lack of this functionality. I would think it would be a high priority.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Even the request that got some coverage on forums has to be reviewed among other planned features (which sometimes have more demand behind them) and be dropped due to less priority. Having said that, we did address the original request and are also planning to address the one that is connected with it (setting specific private IP) - at the moment it's scheduled for post-v12 minor version, but those plans are subject to change.

Thanks!
lothargr
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times

Post by lothargr »

Hello Veremin,

Since it's been 6 months since last post, is there any update on the roadmap about this feature?

Regards.
towen00
Lurker

Post by towen00 »

Hello.

I need to choose the IP address too...

If it is not possible with Veeam, I will try something but don't find all commands to do it in AWS CloudShell :
- Test if needed IP is available
- Create a network-interface on every free IP on the subnet with tag "TEMP"="YES"
- Delete the network-interface with the needed IP
- Restore EC2 on the subnet (only the needed IP is Free, so this IP will be used)
- Delete all network-interfaces with tag "TEMP"="YES"
htxitcllc
Lurker
Full Name: JL

Post by htxitcllc »

Hello,

Same here, I would like the ability to choose what private IP address the EC2 instance will have when performing a Veeam - Restore to Amazon EC2 instance. While I do understand there may be workarounds, I'm hoping this capability becomes natively available within Veeam.

Thanks!
JL