Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
scj6771
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: scott charles jackowski

VEEAM vs Veritas Backup Exec

Post by scj6771 »

I have been tasked with listing out the benefits of moving from Veritas Backup Exec to VEEAM.

We are currently running 4 physical server in a clustered\failover environment with all data residing on a Dell SCv3020.

As stated, out current backup consists of a Backup Exec client on all 4 servers that backup the data on that servers specific volume tied to the Dell SCv3020. (SQL Cluster, SQL Quorum and actual data drive)

We are now moving forward with VMWare and running only 3 physical servers and keeping the storage for now the same (will be VSAN soon)

At any rate, how would VEEAM make the backup procedure easier, more successful or just plain make more sense? I do know that VEEAM does have an “add-on” to work with the Compellent (storage), I also know I would not have to deal with agent installation, and the little I have dealt with VEEAM I do know that support is MUCH better.

Thanks all for your help with this.
JHuston
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jeff Huston

Re: VEEAM vs Veritas Backup Exec

Post by JHuston » 1 person likes this post

Regnor
Veeam Software
Liked: 287 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor » 3 people like this post

It's not so clear from your post, but just to be sure; you don't store the backups on the same storage as your production data, do you?

Regarding your question; I would suggest that you install the trial/community edition and see how Veeam works for you and compare it to Backup Exec. In general I don't see many reasons to keep Backup Exec, except if it works good in your environment, you know it by heart or are a fan of it.
(But my opinion is also a little bit biased ;) )
DonZoomik
Service Provider
Liked: 120 times
Full Name: Mihkel Soomere

Post by DonZoomik » 6 people like this post

On a side note - there was an AMA about Backup Exec a few days ago and it was quite a bloodbath... Worst panning comments have been deleted but the battleground remains https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ ... t_veritas/
ASG
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by ASG » 2 people like this post

Wow... that AMA was quite a read. As someone who has worked with BE for over 10 years before switching to veeam: I've never looked back. Well, i did look back and ask why I didn't decide we switch sooner.
danswartz
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Dan Swartzendruber

Post by danswartz »

Wow, bloodbath for sure...