Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
EvoGeek
Service Provider
Liked: never

v10a RTM

Post by EvoGeek »

I've got a few BDRs getting prepped to go out this week. If they get v10a RTM installed on them, will they require another patch install next week (assuming it moves out of the Early Availability stage)?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: v10a RTM

Post by Mildur »

They don‘t know that yet.
It depends on how many bugs are found with veeam v10a RTM
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
EvoGeek
Service Provider

Post by EvoGeek »

Thank you for the response.

I realize my question may not have been clear enough for the answer I was looking for. I will make another attempt at it.

Assuming there are no bugs found worth addressing before a release, would a 2nd patch need to be ran on a machine running the RTM build to be on an official public build number instead of a RTM build number?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

No, of course not... in this case, we will just make the RTM build generally available.

At this time there are no known issues with 10a, and only one potentially 10a-specific support case in investigation. We will only be creating a different GA build in case if a major regression is found that may affect multiple customers. Any corner cases or smaller bugs will be addressed with the usual process: hot fixed and rolled into the next cumulative patch.

Thanks!
EvoGeek
Service Provider

Post by EvoGeek »

Perfect! Thank you!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

So the issue I referenced above appeared to be not specific to 10a.

Based on the feedback so far, we're ready to further expand the Early Availability stage.
So we just made 10a RTM build available to everyone for direct download from KB3228

If everything continues to go well, the 10a RTM build will go GA on August 4th, becoming the new default v10 download from our web-site.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Thank you Anton. :)
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
DaStivi
Service Provider
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Stephan Lang

Post by DaStivi »

hey there,
had an issue updating to 10a right now... setup got interrupted somehow: 0x80004005 Fatal error during installation

control panel showed allready correct "new" version, but console could not connect -> VBR "target machine actively refused connection"!

but could recover with running server.x64.msi manually, after that console could connect again!
selva
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Selva Nair

Post by selva »

When 10a is out will we get an update notification and an option to update from the VBR console? Asking this, as we got no such notifications for patch1 and patch2 that came out after we installed 10.0.0.4461. The vbrupdate xml file also seems not updated when patches are out -- the one I see in ProgramData\veeam is up to date, but has no mention of patch levels.

I guess some patches are not automatically notified. What about v10a?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, certainly.

However, we initialize the update server with new versions with a significant delay, only after the particular build has proven itself in the field. Some vendors call this concept a "slow ring". Basically, this notification is aimed at conservative users who don't want to deal with teething issues of new major releases, and/or dislike installing updates too often. So, we hold this notification until we're sure that the benefits of upgrading overweight the comfort of staying with the previous release for just about everyone, while the risk of running into any regressions as the result of the upgrade is minimal (because all common issues have already been reported and patched).

For example, we finally only published v10 in vbrupdate.xml a few weeks after v10 ISO with CP2 on board was released. Before that, the "active" version in vbrupdate.xml was still 9.5 Update 4b. So, we completely skipped v10 GA, as well as v10 ISO with CP1 on board.

v10a will likely be published on the update server sometimes in September. So, it will be a shorter delay comparing to v10, because it a smaller update release, but still a significant delay. Basically, we want to see at least 100K downloads first in any case, regardless of what a particular build is.

Please note that patches do not change build numbers, so they are not reflected in vbrupdate.xml
selva
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Selva Nair

Post by selva »

Thanks for the details. Much appreciated.