Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
neilmurphy65
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Neil Murphy

Secure Restore warning message

Post by neilmurphy65 »

Hi all.
I'm doing some testing with VBR v10 using the Secure Restore method. I just have Windows Defender in my lab environment so I'm using that for scanning. It seems to work well but I'm seeing a warning in the job that I'm trying to get some more information about. It says "Mount operation had some errors, not all disks may have be scanned for malware." Anyone know what this means or how I can look at logs to diagnose?
Neil.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Secure Restore warning message

Post by Andreas Neufert »

I think it is best to contact our Veeam support and upload a Veeam log bundle (it is described there).
neilmurphy65
Enthusiast

Post by neilmurphy65 »

Thanks Andreas.
I don't actually have a support contract - I work in presales for one of the Veeam distributors and was just doing some testing in my own lab to get a better understanding of the process. I'll have a look at the log bundle myself and see if I can find anything.
Neil.
neilmurphy65
Enthusiast

Post by neilmurphy65 »

I created a log bundle and had a look at the log for the Secure Restore job. Here are the relevant warnings:

[29.07.2020 12:21:16] <01> Warning Mount operation errors:
[29.07.2020 12:21:16] <01> Warning [CSkipNotMountableGptPartitionError]. DiskNumber: [0], PartitionOffset: [1048576], PartitionType: [Unknown]
[29.07.2020 12:21:16] <01> Warning [CSkipNotMountableGptPartitionError]. DiskNumber: [0], PartitionOffset: [628097024], PartitionType: [MsReserved]

These partitions seem to be reserved spaces created by Windows Server 2019 that can't be accessed directly and can only be managed using a partition manager. I'm not sure what the "Unknown" partition is used for but I know that the "MsReserved" partition is created during installation and contains no useful data. The Wikipedia entry says "A Microsoft Reserved Partition (MSR) is a partition of a data storage device, which is created to reserve a portion of disk space for possible subsequent use by a Windows operating system installed on a separate partition. No meaningful data is stored within the MSR; though from the MSR, chunks may be taken for the creation of new partitions, which themselves may contain data structures.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft ... _Partition
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Just guessing here, that you try to mount a Windows 2019 volume to a mount server with older windows?

Please open a ticket anyway and select evaluation support.