Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
liliana_liang
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Liliana Liang

Veeam Backup & Replication v6 will support tape drive?

Post by liliana_liang »

Hello,

I need to now if the new versión of this product will contemplate supporting for tape drive type as a new Backup feature..
or how can I connect a tape drive, like HP LTO, as a destination for the backup repository?
I want to achieve this goal without using third party software.
Can any one give me some clue?

Thanks,

Liliana
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam Backup & Replication v6 will support tape drive?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Liliana,

Our upcoming version 6 will not have native support for tape drives, you should still use 3rd party applications for that.

Thank you.
J1mbo
Veteran
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: James Pearce

Post by J1mbo »

Replication to external storage with encryption would be nice, then again it's obviously easy enough to set up robocopy to do it. Just a royal PITA to get NTFS EFS working on Server 2008 when in a 2k3 domain.
liliana_liang
Lurker
Full Name: Liliana Liang

Post by liliana_liang »

Thanks for the replies..

Since many companies need to archive theirs financials data for many years because of local laws, backup to tape is the way to accomplish this, so I really want to find how to implement Veeam as an integral backup solution.
There's any other idea that can help me?
1-0-1
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Bernd

Post by 1-0-1 »

What backup software are you using for your tape based backups? The principle is to either backup your VEEAM B&R backup files or only your full synthetic files (*.vbk).
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Bernd is right, many of our customers have this requirement, and they just backup our backup files to tape with their existing tape backup solution. You can find plenty of topics about this if you search this forum for tape. Thanks!
J1mbo
Veteran
Liked: 29 times
Full Name: James Pearce

Post by J1mbo »

liliana_liang wrote:Since many companies need to archive theirs financials data for many years because of local laws, backup to tape is the way to accomplish this
It depends on your data footprint I guess, but tape is renowned for being expensive, slow, and difficult to restore from when most needed, not least because generally the tape drive from 7 years ago isn't actually around.

Since my Veeam files are (well) under 3TB, a few USB-3 external drives are my preferred solution.
gshaw
Enthusiast
Full Name: Gerrard Shaw

Post by gshaw »

I looked at various disk systems but in the end went with tape as I prefer to have the archive backups on a different media to the primary and also find tapes more rugged for moving around, might have to get creative with the rotation strategy once the Veeam files get over 1.5TB though (couldn't stretch to an autoloader sadly :( )

I'm using a spare Backup Exec license to do the tape archive but if that wasn't available Windows Backup would have to suffice