Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
HendersonD
Expert
Liked: 8 times

ReFS - Windows Server 2019 LTSC versus SAC

Post by HendersonD »

Our Veeam physical proxy server is currently running Windows Server 2019 Standard version 1809 which is the Long-Term Servicing Channel. We present to it via iSCSI a volume from our Nimble Array, formatted ReFS, and use it as a backup target for Veeam.

We are thinking about taking the proxy server and installing Windows Server 2019 version 1909 which is the Semi-Annual Channel. Two questions:
  1. If we present the same volume from our Nimble Array, do I need to format it ReFS once again or will Veeam just recognize it? In other words, do I need to wipe out all of my backups by formatting the volume as ReFS and starting with the first backup being a full?
  2. I know that Windows Server 2019 version 1909 (SAC) has some significant ReFS performance improvements over Windows Server 2019 version 1809 (LTSC). Are these improvements worth making this change?
I know the next release in the LTSC will have these ReFS improvements but that could be 2-3 years down the line
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: ReFS - Windows Server 2019 LTSC versus SAC

Post by HannesK »

Hello,

1: Windows will know REFS of the other Windows. And indirectly also Veeam, yes. No need to re-format or create a new full.
2: as you did not post about any issues, I would opt for "not worth the upgrade". In IT I only know "too slow" and "fast enough" :-)

Best regards,
Hannes