Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
fazzauk
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

CBT driver

Post by fazzauk »

Good morning all,

Question on CBT driver.

I understand that CBT driver is really beneficial for servers running applications with large databases.

We have noticed that on two File servers the twice daily incremental are over 500GB which seems a little high.

I read in a previous forum message that other people were experiencing similar issues and they removed the CBT driver and the incremental dropped to considerable.

My question is do I need the CBT driver on a filer server and by removing the driver should I expect to see incremental size reduce?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: CBT driver

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hello!

Why are you posting this in VMware vSphere subforum? If this is because you're trying to backup a vSphere VM with an agent, then this is not recommended way to do thigs in the first place. You should be using "VMware backup job", which use vSphere's native CBT and thus don't require installing the CBT driver in each VM.

Regardless of that, either CBT technology merely speeds up determining changed blocks, but there's no way it can affect the actual number of changed blocks. These changes are created by the running OS and applications writing data, and the number of changed blocks in the incremental backups cannot magically change depending on the technology used to determine them.

Thanks!