Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mvalpreda
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Mark Valpreda

AAP doesn't appear to even be trying, cred checks fail

Post by mvalpreda »

Case: 04309055

Veeam 9.5u4

Have an issue with 3x VMs where it doesn't even appear that AAP is trying - 1x AD, 1x file server, 1x SQL server. Enable AAP is ticked and require success under Applications. If I do a credentials check, they fail almost immediately. The account works - was a copy of the domain admin account and can RDP to all servers with the password. Veeam keeps saying the creds are invalid.

Interesting is that the job runs and succeeds, just never see anything about the logs being truncated in SQL or AD. Account was added to SQL as a sysadmin.

If I try and do a SQL restore, shows there is nothing to restore on the VMWare backup. The Hyper-V backup on the same machine shows SQL backups to restore.

Used to working with Hyper-V and this works nearly every time.....not sure if there is something simple/silly I am missing with VMWare.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: AAP doesn't appear to even be trying, cred checks fail

Post by Gostev »

Well, if credentials check fails then you should not hope for application-aware processing to work. You should sort this out as the first step, before you do anything else.

I am confused though how are you doing both VMware backup and Hyper-V backup of the same VM?
mvalpreda
Enthusiast

Post by mvalpreda »

Two different jobs, two different sets of VMs. Hyper-V internally, VMWare at the colo.

The Veeam service account I set up has no issue logging into the machines via RDP. That same password copy/paste with either DOMAIN\svc.veeam or svc.veeam@domain.com does not work for cred checks.

I'm wondering if I need to have something else in order to do a VMWare backup with AAP. Right now it's just a direct connection from Veeam to the IP of the VMWare server.
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy »

Hey Mark,

Problem with saying "RDP works" as a valid test is that not all logons are the same. iirc, Veeam switched to logon as batch jobs and also needs administrator level access, and that's what the test creds button surely must be checking.

I would review the required permissions from the user guide again and check with a test account bespoke for this (like a fresh one). Again, remember that not all logons are the same. Group memberships, GPOs controlling logons, logon types, and tons more can affect it, so it's not valid to log on successfully one way and say that an account is good for all logons.
mvalpreda
Enthusiast

Post by mvalpreda »

I just did the exact same thing I have done for countless Hyper-V installs in the past. That's why I'm wondering if there is something different I need to do with VMWare....and with a machine that is located at a colo over the WAN (no site-to-site).
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

No, nothing is different. Moreover, the network-based guest processing component is actually shared between VMware and Hyper-V jobs. Only networkless processing is different due to different APIs used (VIX API vs. PSDirect). Thanks!