Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
mr.spoon
Novice
Liked: 1 time

How to import backups from a broken hyper-v host into a new one?

Post by mr.spoon »

we have a very big issue!

situation:

Hyper-V host with Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 has broken and is no longer available.
We have Veem full backups and incremental backups offsite (copys from a repository). How can we import the backups to a new host with a new Veeam installation? I read that you have to add the server to be imported in the new Veeam. But it is broken and is no longer available. What's the procedure? Thanks for help!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: How to import backups from a broken hyper-v host into a new one?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello mr.spoon,

Try to import backups to your newly deployed Veeam B&R server. Cheers!
mr.spoon
Novice

Post by mr.spoon »

Hello Dima,

Thank you for your fast reply. Exactly in this linked document is written, that we have to add the Server from where we want Import Backups. How we have to understand this? Server is broken, Not longer available.

Backup files are located on a NAS.
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi @mr.spoon,
Exactly in this linked document is written, that we have to add the Server from where we want Import Backups. How we have to understand this? Server is broken, Not longer available.
That's exactly right. It refers to the server/share where you keep backups, no the host server from where VMs are originated.

If your NAS repo was not hosted on Hyper-V and fully available now, just add it to your VBR console as a new repository and select the corresponding check box on Review Step.

Thanks,
Oleg
mr.spoon
Novice

Post by mr.spoon »

Hi Oleg,

thank you for your reply.
Well, I added a new Backup Repo (our NAS), selected "find available backups" during wizard and...backup wasn't added. Repo was added successtfully, no error displayed.
I tried "rescan" nothing. We choose exacly the folder where the backup file is located (there ist just a .vbk file).
What I did wrong?
Just for testing we installed Veeam B&R as community version. Backup is from a licenced version.
Is it importrant to use the same Veeam B&R version (even update version)?

Thanks for ypur help
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

It works the same way in any edition (you dont need a licensed Veeam B&R to perform a restore). Can you please check under Home node > Backups > Imported if you see any backups from the repository in the question? Cheers!
mr.spoon
Novice

Post by mr.spoon »

It is empty ..

There is no "Backups" under Home Node. Only "Jobs" and "Last 24 Hours". That's all
I installed Veeam B&R and added a backup repo (it's a QNAP NAS share) and wanted to import saved backups into B&R. Maybe I misunderstood something.
I wanted to use it as a test environment
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 525 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

The rescan procedure will import backup if it detects backup chain metadata on the repository: .vbm file. In this case you will see an imported backup under Home node > Backups > Imported.

mr.spoon wrote:We choose exacly the folder where the backup file is located (there ist just a .vbk file).
If you have just a .vbk file in the folder please try to import a backup manually according to this instruction. The backup will appear in the list of imported backups.
If the backup does not appear, I'd recommend to ask our support team to examine debug logs and to find the cause of the issue.

Thanks!
mr.spoon
Novice

Post by mr.spoon » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

thank you for your help. Issue is fixed. We added all .vib files and .vbm file to folder and after that...rescan works. :-)