Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
adam900331
Veteran
Liked: 22 times

Backup Exchange 2016 DAG best practice

Post by adam900331 »

Hy!

I have two Exchange 2016 physical server which are include a DAG. There are 5 database, the active databases copy owns the Exch1, the Exch2 owns the passive databases copy. The circular logging is NOT enabled for these databases. What is the best practice to backup the servers via agent? I read this article:

https://www.veeam.com/blog/how-to-backu ... ation.html

According to the article, there are two option for me:

Option 1: Can I create one backup job (with enabled Application-aware Image Processing) which is include the DAG Cluster IP address OR Exch1 and Exch2. The backup process will be good due ti the deduplication process. How does it backup process work? Only backup the passive databases? Or backup the active and passive databases so the backup file occupies double spaces from my storage?

Option 2: Can I create one backup job (with enabled Application-aware Image Processing) which is include only the server which owns the passive database copy (Exch2)?

Which option is the best? This is not clear from the article.

Thanks.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Backup Exchange 2016 DAG best practice

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
the blog article is for virtual Exchange environments... www.veeam.com/kb2463 covers agent based backup.

Everything will be backed up and use double space on your storage, yes (the best practice you asked for).

Best regards,
Hannes