Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Daniel2
Enthusiast
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Daniel

VIX vs RPC?

Post by Daniel2 »

Hi,

I manage a number of Windows VMs and Veeam. We use AAIP for all Windows servers.

Veeam regularly throws warnings and errors that Veeam can't connect to certain Windows VMs for guest processing and guest runtime injection over the network. I figured out that often the firewall is the issue.

As far as I know I have two options to fix this.

1. Use PRC and configure the firewall to allow the RPC ports.
2. Use VIX.

I'm thinking about using VIX and changing the Veeam backup servers and proxies to always use VIX first. That way I would not have to configure the firewall at all. And I would also be able to backup servers in a DMZ or without network connectivity the same way, I backup all other servers. I don't know whether RPC has advantages over VIX, but I would assume so because RPC is the first and default choice of Veeam.

So, what are the advantages and disadvantages of using VIX over RPC?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: VIX vs RPC?

Post by PTide »

Hi,

VIX AAIP relies on VMware Tools, is not supported for guest OSes where NTLM authentication is restricted, and can be blocked by Windows UAC.

Please see the following KB articles for details:

KB1788
KB3225

Thanks!
gmajestix
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times

Post by gmajestix »

I'm not sure but I think you also cant do an application level restore through VIX?
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

That's right, you cannot perform an application-level restore using VIX. Thank you for pointing that out.

Cheers