Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
ortec-RW
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Richard Willkomm

Share backup on a SOFS share

Post by ortec-RW »

Hi

I seem to have some weird combo that needs to be backed up, and I can only find a solution for half of it.
I have a 2-node Windows-cluster, with only one cluster role, a SOFS share. The share contains open-files that I want backed up. And to top it off, this cluster uses S2D, not SAN.

- If I add the Cluster to Veeam, only the nodes are backed up, not it's CVFS cluster volumes (that actually contain the file-data). This is by design I think. This method is really only for backing up the nodes. The data (volumes) traditionally is in a SAN. I don't really care for the nodes, they can be re-deployed by hand so I don't need to back them up.

- If I add the SOFS share itself as an SMB3 backup, a VSS snapshot cannot be made, probably because Veeam cannot determine which node within the cluster owns the role during backup. And only the owner can do writes to the CVFS volume (needed to do VSS). So the job throws an error and fails over to a direct backup. And this direct backup cannot handle open-files.

So, even though I initially thought Veeam could handle SOFS backups, I think I'm stuck for my specific case. Or am I missing something ?

Grtz
Richard
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Share backup on a SOFS share

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Richard,

- If I add the Cluster to Veeam, only the nodes are backed up, not it's CVFS cluster volumes (that actually contain the file-data). This is by design I think. This method is really only for backing up the nodes. The data (volumes) traditionally is in a SAN. I don't really care for the nodes, they can be re-deployed by hand so I don't need to back them up.
Correct, agent/VM backup cannot process cluster shared volumes (CSV) added to the source machine.
- If I add the SOFS share itself as an SMB3 backup, a VSS snapshot cannot be made, probably because Veeam cannot determine which node within the cluster owns the role during backup. And only the owner can do writes to the CVFS volume (needed to do VSS). So the job throws an error and fails over to a direct backup. And this direct backup cannot handle open-files.
Did you get an error in the file level backup job? With nas backup you can configure file proxy to take the VSS snapshot (enable the SMB VSS feature) and enable file share processing via VSS, underlying storage should not affect the VSS capabilities. Cheers!
ortec-RW
Enthusiast

Post by ortec-RW »

Yes I get the error in the job.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8/3/2020 12:45:42 PM :: Failed to create a VSS snapshot, failing over to direct backup from the file share Details: Failed to add volume [\\<clustername>\share\] to the VSS snapshot set
The given shadow copy provider does not support shadow copying the specified volume.
--tr:Failed to add volumes to the snapshot set.
--tr:Failed to perform pre-backup tasks.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As is states, it then fails over to direct backup method. But on the locked files I then get errors.

8/3/2020 12:46:48 PM :: Unable to backup \\?\UNC\<clustername>\share\1-WebServices-16\CollabContent\{23F36459-BE06-4902-9F6A-481204CD6940}\Z1V8Y0V0\Meeting.Active: file is locked

The SMB file share is configured to use the VSS method in the advanced screen, and fall back if it fails to do so (which it does).

I really think because this share is a Windows-cluster, it cannot trigger the VSS properly.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thank you for the details Richard! I'll check your setup with QA folks and get back to you as soon as hear back anything.
ortec-RW
Enthusiast

Post by ortec-RW »

Thanks for the feedback so far. Awaiting further feedback patiently.

Greetz
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

QA folks confirmed that they've tested SOFS scenario and it should work. Can you please make sure that the proxy assigned for this file share processing (via add file share wizard) is configured properly? Here is the detailed KB article - VSS does not work on SMB shares. Let us know if that helps. Cheers!
ortec-RW
Enthusiast

Post by ortec-RW » 1 person likes this post

hi Dmitry

Looks like we have a winner. I checked the KB you sent and basically everything matched except for 2 things

1) The VSS Agent Service feature was added earlier to both the nodes of the SOFS cluster, but the nodes were not rebooted since then. Not sure if this helped, but I did it anyway since there were WIndows updates waiting also. I really wouldn't be the 1st time a new feature only works after reboot.

2) I added the user (that is used in the Veeam Job) to the backup operators group on both nodes also. But then I realised that Share Backup uses a file-proxy. And it's actually this file-proxy that wants to mount the VSS. So I also added the user to the backup operators group on the file-proxy.

And voila !!! Now it works. Open-file backup on a SOFS share.

Thanx for the help !!!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Richard,

Glad you nailed it and thanks for sharing the updates with us. Cheers!
sklyarov
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Sklyarov Sergey

Post by sklyarov »

Good day! I can't backup SMB3 VSS (SOFS cluster) if share name contain cyrillic symbols (\\FS-Srv\ТЗИ). In veeam bk log, Veeam try conect to \\FS-Srv\???. All requirements specified in article (https://www.veeam.com/kb3099) I have fulfilled.
LOG:

Code: Select all

Error Cannot parse backup specification document (<?xml version="1.0"?><HVBackupSpec><VMs /><volumes><volProvider volMountPoint="\\FS-SRV\???" id="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000" type="4" /></volumes><Settings UseCsvVssWriter="0" UseHvVssWriter="0" UseAllVssWriters="1" CopyOnly="1" Persistent="0" SnapInProgressRetryCount="0" SnapInProgressRetryWaitSec="30" /></HVBackupSpec>). 

Veeam Console:

Code: Select all

Processing \\FS-Srv\ТЗИ Error: XML error: [Error reading Attributes.]. Error code: [7]. - Failed to create a VSS snapshot Error: Failed to call RPC function 'BeginSnapshotCreationEx': XML error: [Error reading Attributes.]. Error code: [7]. Cannot parse backup specification document (<?xml version="1.0"?><HVBackupSpec><VMs /><volumes><volProvider volMountPoint="\\FS-SRV\???" id="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000" type="4" /></volumes><Settings UseCsvVssWriter="0" UseHvVssWriter="0" UseAllVssWriters="1" CopyOnly="1" Persistent="0" SnapInProgressRetryCount="0" SnapInProgressRetryWaitSec="30" /></HVBackupSpec>). - Error: XML error: [Error reading Attributes.]. Error code: [7]. 

P.S. My support Case #06389816