Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
adam900331
Veteran
Liked: 22 times

Backup Exchange database and transaction logs

Post by adam900331 »

Hy!

I am testing the Exchange backup with Veeam B&R. There is a database and its transaction logs, the circular logging is not enable. I have a backup job which can enabled the "Appliaction-aware image processing" and enabled the "process transaction logs with this job" option. The end of the job the log files successfully deleted which already purged into the database.

My scenario is: Run the backup job at 8:00 am successfully. A send an e-mail to one of the Exchange mailbox which part of the database at 8:15am (so after the backup job run), so this transaction is store in the new log file. How can I restore this e-mail which sent after the backup job? Can I restore it with the Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange application? I done the following: Restored the .edb database file and its transaction log files from backup which ran at 8:00am to local store. I copied the new transaction log files from Exchnage server to the restored log folder. When I open the Veeam Explorer for Microsoft Exchange, browsed the .edb file and the all transaction logs. Is it good solution for my scenario?

But I didn't find the e-mail which sent to the Exchange user at 8:15am. Why?

Thanks.
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Re: Backup Exchange database and transaction logs

Post by Regnor »

Your database state inside the backup doesn't know the newer transaction logs so you'll only get the data from 8:00am.
You would have to use eseutil and try to merge/repair your backup database with your production logs.

I rarely do stuff like that (for which I'm glad) so you'll have to read about eseutil yourself :wink:
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Re: Backup Exchange database and transaction logs

Post by soncscy »

Hey Adam,

To be honest, since I rarely see exchange not in DAG/O365 nowadays, I'm not sure I see the value in exchange transaction logs. If you suffer such a failure that all such data is lost across your entire Exchange environment...I think not even transaction logs could protect you here as surely it would have to mean you lost all DAG nodes.

For SQL it makes sense to me to do such rollbacks as I want to ensure that I can replay bad transactions or get to a specific moment, but for email? It's not as important to have minute by minute plays.

What's the use case where you're needing Exchange log replays?