Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Jln
Novice
Liked: never

Veeam agent displays 'Job finished with error' after baremetal recovery

Post by Jln »

This early morning (2:30am) the scheduled backup finished successfully. This morning (~9am) I used this backup to recover my PC successfully too. After recovery I restarted my PC, the Veeam agent shows 'Job finished with error', and job history shows that the backup I just used for recovery was not finished successfully. Why? It was just used for a successful recovery!

The error is:

Code: Select all

7/4/2020 3:45:35 AM :: Error: A device which does not exist was specified. Asynchronous read operation failed Failed to upload disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}. Exception from server: A device which does not exist was specified. Asynchronous read operation failed Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [248236]. Failed to download disk.
But before I recover there was no error and I even used this backup for a successful recovery.

Case ID 04265627.
Natalia Lupacheva
Veteran
Liked: 302 times
Full Name: Natalia Lupacheva

Re: Veeam agent displays 'Job finished with error' after baremetal recovery

Post by Natalia Lupacheva »

Hi,

could you please clarify if backup job can be successfully run on your machine after this recovery?
Also, was it a full system restore?

Thanks!
Jln
Novice

Post by Jln »

Yes.
Yes.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1575 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Jln,

Based on the support case details the latest job session was interrupted by the actual restore procedure. If that's true then such behavior is expected and you can ignore it (error session will be pushed-out by new successful job runs). Cheers!
Jln
Novice

Post by Jln »

How could an interrupted backup be used by a successful recovery?
And the recovery occurred (after 9am) long after the backup was finished (around 4am).
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Jln,

Latest agent version has new resume functionality (to continue the backup interrupted by connectivity issues, machine sleep or hibernate). I believe you see the failed session because resuming was not possible after restore. I've ask QA folks to check your application debug logs just to be sure. Cheers!
Jln
Novice

Post by Jln »

Thanks. Any finding?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Unfortunately still waiting for the investigation results, stay tuned.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Jln,

Here is the update on your case:

1. After bare metal recovery is performed the latest restore point is removed from UI: you are literary traveling back in time, so latest job run does not exist in the database state.
2. According to the logs previous job run ended up in retry cycle and was successfully completed at the next day (which was selected as a restore point for bare metal recovery).
3. Since latest restore session is removed from the UI and retry cycle was never succeeded you got that last session error in the UI.

We've also concluded that it looks like a UI issue and your restore points should be ok. Cheers!
Jln
Novice

Post by Jln »

Thanks. You mean the final success status of the backup (which I used for recovery) was removed from UI (I understood it's a traveling back in time) but the retry cycle (which looked failed) was kept in UI? Isn't this retry also a traveling back in time and should not be kept either?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

It looks like this:

Day 1 - job was sitting in the retry
Day 2 - job succeeded, marked the job session into success

You've restored to Day 2, session was removed from the database but Day 1 session remains there and is marked as never succeeded, thus UI shows error.
Jln
Novice

Post by Jln »

It would be clearer if we put in time in discussion, as I don't see 'Day 1', 'Day 2' in this issue:
First of all my backup setting is: Incremental everyday 2:30am (no catch up if missed), Full every Saturday 2:30am. Normally incremental backup takes a few minutes, full more than 1 hour.
In this issue, it was a Saturday (Jul. 4) so the backup was full. I noticed at ~9am the full backup was successful. I used it for a also successful restore. Then after restore I noticed the UI showed that the Jul. 4 backup was a failure. This is my question: Why the status of a backup of the same day (Jul. 4) was different before and after restore?
I understand restore is a traveling back in time - Let's assume the backup was finished at 4am, and I used it for restore at 9am when I used it for restore. When the traveling is done, I was at the state of 4am wasn't I? It should still say the backup was a success because at that time backup finished. Or, if the time travel brought me back to 2:30am when the bacak up was started, then the UI should not show the status of Jul. 4 backup because it had not occurred yet.
All I discuss here is about Saturday Jul. 4, there is nothing about previous day. There is no such issue like a job failed in previous day and resumed in next day. It might be possible that the full backup started at 2:30am Jul. 4 failed at 3:30am and resumed at 5am and finished at 6:30am and at 9am I still noticed it a success. But this should not change anything - All occurred on same day.

Case ID 04265627