Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
KGrieve
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Kathleen Grieve

Veeam Agent on B&R server

Post by KGrieve »

My Veeam 10 B&R server is physical. There are some files on it that we would like to copy off-prem (the config backup files and some others). The simplest method seems to be just backup the folders with a Veeam Agent job and let the SOBR offload take care of it. Can I install the Windows Agent on the server without impacting anything that Veeam needs to do in managing all of the other backups?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6715 times

Re: Veeam Agent on B&R server

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Yes, you should be able to do this, I'm unaware of any conflicts. However, I would also consider using file backup jobs (new v10 feature aka NAS backup) instead. Thanks!
KGrieve
Novice

Post by KGrieve »

Thank you Gostev! What a great idea, to use the file backup. Didn't even think of that. A much better solution.
KGrieve
Novice

Post by KGrieve »

Need to ask some advice again. I've been running a file backup for what was discussed above. It is backing up some files on the local C and local H drives, to the SOBR. The SOBR has a local repository on the server (performance tier), and Azure object storage for the capacity tier. All my backup jobs are tiering off as expected, except for this one file backup. It never tiers. Anyone know of a reason why it wouldn't? Should it? Our reason for doing this backup was to be able to get a copy off prem. Thanks.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

An object storage can be used to keep archived versions of NAS backups so I would check which archive repository is specified in NAS backup job settings.

Thanks!
KGrieve
Novice

Post by KGrieve »

The Archive repository is not available in my file backup job, it is grayed out. Thanks PetrM.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Did you select the checkbox "Keep previous file versions for: " ?

Thanks!
KGrieve
Novice

Post by KGrieve »

No, I did not select that checkbox. It says File versions archiving capability requires Enterprise Plus edition of Veeam Backup & Replication. I know that we have an Enterprise license, but I guess it doesn't match what the file backup job wants.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

KGrieve wrote:The SOBR has a local repository on the server (performance tier), and Azure object storage for the capacity tier. All my backup jobs are tiering off as expected, except for this one file backup. It never tiers. Anyone know of a reason why it wouldn't? Should it?
That's expected as SOBR repositories cannot be used for archival purposes of NAS backups. Instead you should be using the feature Petr was referring to.

Here is the quote from the user guide for more info:
3 The object storage repository added as a Capacity Tier in SOBR is not used for storing NAS backups. To archive NAS backup files to an object storage repository, assign it as an archive repository when creating a file share backup job.