Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sasilik
Expert
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Markko Meriniit

Veeam upgrade to v10 went wel but...

Post by sasilik »

Finally upgraded Veeam to v10 about a week ago. All went well but for some reason all backup jobs started to compact their files after the next run even when they are scheduled to do it at different times. I thought that okay, let them do it even if it takes little longer when multiple compacting jobs are running together but couple ones are still compacting. One maybe finishes tomorrow (just went to 88%) but another is after 8 days only at 3% .
One job vbk is 4.4TB and scheduled to run monthly, last friday.
last compact job - Full backup file compact completed successfully 12:45:47
now - Compacting full backup file (87% done) 183:19:10
Another job vbk is 8.5TB and scheduled to run monthly, fourth friday.
last compact job - Full backup file compact completed successfully 30:42:57
now - Compacting full backup file (3% done) 180:34:25

I don't know what the hell they are doing there what takes so long.

Another problem was that upgrade broke my files to tape job script which added paths to a job. As I understand the powershell cmdlet functionality has changed (I asked about it at post379043.htm ) and I guess I can figure out some workaround but as the functionality to add same paths to the job through GUI and using one SMB share is available then I am curious why it can't be available also through powershell.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam upgrade to v10 went wel but...

Post by foggy »

Hi Markko, please open a case with technical support. We haven't seen anything like that before so a closer look is required. Thanks!
sasilik
Expert

Post by sasilik »

sasilik wrote: Jul 22, 2020 10:42 am Another problem was that upgrade broke my files to tape job script which added paths to a job. As I understand the powershell cmdlet functionality has changed (I asked about it at post379043.htm ) and I guess I can figure out some workaround but as the functionality to add same paths to the job through GUI and using one SMB share is available then I am curious why it can't be available also through powershell.
The link in the post should be powershell-f26/file-to-tape-add-smb-share-t67679.html
sasilik
Expert

Post by sasilik »

I opened the case (Case #04296526) and I am waiting for someone to pick it up. In mean time I found a workaround for adding share paths to may file to tape job and posted it in the topic mentioned above.
sasilik
Expert

Post by sasilik »

Seems that problem went away for now. Although no reason is known why such thing happened. I disabled problematic job after 10 days and as compacting did not stop then rebooted servers. After that job was in stopped state and when it started again it started also the compacting process after backup. Again, after 12h the process was 0% so I disabled job again and rebooted servers and installed v10 CU2. After that job ran two days without compacting and then on Tuesday started compacting again even when schedule was on 4th Friday. But this time it was more promising so I let it run and it finished with 66 hours which was twice as long as usually. I guess I am waiting for the next time now.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello Markko,

Let's wait for the next run but do not hesitate to contact our support team again if the compact job takes too much time.

Thanks!