Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jac
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: James Consterdine

Job Schedule

Post by jac »

Right, so I'm new to Veeam and trying to get my head around how things work.. My boss has asked me to set up the following on our VM's.

Backup each day with Mondays being stored for a month and other days being stored for 1 week. Then once a month a full backup is archived to be kept for up to 1 year.

How would people recommend doing that or something close to it?

I guess I could use the incremental backup and set it to keep 7 restore points at any time, and then set an Active full backup once a week? But I can't find any setting to specify how long the full backup is retained.

Any help appreciated
James
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Job Schedule

Post by foggy »

James, there is no ability to specify different retention periods within a single job, so I would suggest to create two jobs here. The first job to run weekly on Mondays with 4 or 5 restore points kept (assuming there is different number of Mondays in different months), the second will run on a daily basis except Mondays keeping 6 restore points.
averylarry
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Ted

Post by averylarry »

I had a similar situation. I read documentation and then I experimented and eventually I realized that the "old ways" of backups (when everything was on tape) don't fit Veeam very well. In general, hard drive based backups have greater possibilities when compared to tape based backups.

In reality, I would suggest you explore the concepts of reverse incremental backups and (separately) incremental with synthetic full backups as Veeam uses them. Once you understand them well, you may find that forever incrementals with weekly synthetic fulls is what you really want. Then you just need to educate your boss -- it sounds like he/she wants to emulate the classic GFS (Grandfather-Father-Son) tape backup system and may not realize the new (and often better) methods available with hard drive based backups.

Otherwise pretty much what foggy said. I would do 3 jobs:

Tue. through Fri. (or Sat. or Sun.) daily job with 4 or 5 or 6 restore points (depending on whether you run it Sat. and Sun.).
Weekly job on Monday with 4 restore points.
Monthly job on Monday with 12 restore points.

Note that the Monthly Monday job is only if you want the backups "live". If you want them removed from the primary backup location (either by tape or offsite hard drive etc.), then you don't want the monthly job -- just copy off the weekly jobs.
NT29
Enthusiast

Make a backup every month

Post by NT29 »

[merged]

hello
i have read the >>> READ THIS FIRST : [FAQ] FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS <<<

but i have still a doubt

i have a job to backup all my VM
i keep 6 point
In adavanced setting i have selected Reverse incremental

So like that i have every day a full and i can restore 6 days

but i want to do more and have a restore point not only for the 6 last days but one restore point every month for example every 15 of the month

Is the Active full backup here for that ?
thanks
nt
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Nicolas,

As Alexander has described above you cannot define retention policies similar to Grandfather-Father-Son (GFS) system.

If you want to have more restore points available during the month then you can offload these points before the defined retention policy (6 days) is applied to your backup chain. Active full backup just re-creates a new full backup (VBK file) without doing incremental passes.

Thank you.
NT29
Enthusiast

Post by NT29 »

thanks a lot
andreas
Influencer
Full Name: andreas

Backupjob suggestions

Post by andreas »

[merged]

Hi,

We have a customer that have the following requirements regarding their backup retention policy and restore options.

All servers must be backed up every day. Always.
  • * 0-30 Days: 1 restorepoint every day
    * 30 Days - 6 Months: 1 restorepoint each week (last day of week)
    * 6 Months - 1 Year: 1 restorepoint each Month (last day of month)
Howe would i accomplish this behaviour the best way?

Regards,
Andreas
sglick
Lurker
Full Name: Steve Glick

Post by sglick »

Andreas-did you ever see a response to your question? I have the same question.
Regards,
Steve
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Steve, there is currently no ability to implement this the way other than the one described above. Please also review another topic on the same subject.