Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
dbr
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Daniel Brase

Feature Request: Delay "Backup once powered on"

Post by dbr » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

I'm using Veeam Agent for Windows Version 4 on my laptop and enabled the option "Backup once powered on" if the computer is offline to the scheduled time. Because I back up to a network share the network (wifi) is often not ready when Veeam tries to start a backup and therefore the backup fails with the error message "Error: Backup target is not available". Can you please consider to either delay the try for a missed backup or check whether the destination is availbale and once it is not, try again a few times for a minute or a few seconds for example?

Thanks! Daniel
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Feature Request: Delay "Backup once powered on"

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Hi Daniel.

Interesting request, but I might have a solution for you:
- go services.msc and set "VeeamEndpointBackupSvc" service to Automatic(Delayed) start
- go regedit and set DWORD key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\AutoStartDelay to the time you want to delay in ms(decimal), aka setting 300000 will make it 5 min delay to start Veeam activities after reboot

/Hope that helps!
dbr
Expert

Post by dbr »

Hi Egor,

Nice workaround and thanks for your fast reply! But I use hibernation / standby and therefore the service is already running once the session is resumed. So unfortunately that won't work in my case.
dbr
Expert

Post by dbr »

For anyone who's interested:

Because the option to delay the service does not work for suspend and standby I created a task in the task scheduler that is triggered by an event. First I tried to use Power-Troubleshooter with EventID 1 in event log System. But that event is logged too late. Event source Kernel-Power with EventID 107 (system was resumed) is better but Kernel-Power with EventID 42 (going into stand by) works the most reliable, because It should already be triggered when the system is suspended. As action I configured a powershell script and the tasks runs as System.

Code: Select all

Get-Service VeeamEndpointBackupSvc | Stop-Service
sleep 10
Get-Service VeeamEndpointBackupSvc | Start-Service
Just to be safe I configured the VeeamService as "Automatic (Delayed)". That will do the trick when the system was restarted.

Thanks to Egor for putting me up to this idea.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Daniel,
Can you please consider to either delay the try for a missed backup or check whether the destination is availbale and once it is not
Check the backup event "when backup target is connected", is starts the backup whenever the connection to the removable device or network share/repository is established :wink:
dbr
Expert

Post by dbr »

Hi Dmitry,

Thanks for the hint but I guess in my case that will not help. If I understand it correctly enabling "when backup target is connected" means that it will start a backup once the share is available regardless of what is configured in the periodically section.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

You can combine it with "Backup no more often than every" option and set it, for example, to 7 days, to have a weekly backup even if VPN is up on a daily basis.
/Cheers!
dbr
Expert

Post by dbr »

Sounds interesting, I will give it a try.
inv
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Nick Angelopoulos

[MERGED][REQ] Scheduled backup start delay setting

Post by inv »

When a backup has been scheduled at a time that the PC is powered off, there is a setting so that the backup will start when powered on. It would be nice to have an additional setting (regardless of the state of the previous one i mentioned): "delay backup start for X minutes after the PC powers on".

For instance, if the backup start time has passed, when powered on, the backup should start X minutes after the Veeam agent service starts. That ensures that there's time for network connections to be established. In my case and as things work now, most of the time the backup fails and i have to start it manually.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Hi Nick,

I have merged your feature request with an existing thread.
Please check comments above for possible workarounds.

Anyhow, your +1 is noted.

/Cheers!
dbr
Expert

Post by dbr » 1 person likes this post

Hi Nick,

My backup to shared folder runs stable since about one year with following settings:

- When backup target is connected
- Backup no more often than every: 3 Day

However, still also from me +1 for delaying job start once powered on or resumed.

Daniel