Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
Magz
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Magne Stenwig

How can I get the newest quarterly backup uploaded to Azure?

Post by Magz »

Hi

I am trying to figure out a way to realise this scenario:

I have several B&R Backup jobs with a couple of local repositories as target
I have backup-copy jobs for each of the backups. They copy the backups to other repositories and keeps 5 quarterly backups for archival purposes

Now I would like to store only the newest quarterly backup i an Azure Blob-storage. This is to keep a reasonably recent backup totally off-site, but I don't need the older quarterly backups off-site, only the newest one.

I am not sure how I can configure that. As I understand it, configuring the blob as a capacity-tier with the 'copy backups...'-function will copy all the quarterly backups to the blob, not only the newst one?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 525 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: How can I get the newest quarterly backup uploaded to Azure?

Post by PetrM »

Hi Magne,

I would recommend to offload all GFS backups or older GFS backups to reduce long-term retention costs but not to keep just the newest GFS point on the capacity tier.

The Copy policy copies all backups to the capacity tier as soon as they appear on the performance extents.
In case of backup copy, the Move policy will offload only GFS restore points older than the specified operational restore window.

However, you always have an option to download a single backup chain to the performance tier and to keep some specific backups on the object storage.

Thanks!
Magz
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Magne Stenwig

Post by Magz »

Thanks for your input Petr.

I guess we'll have to change how we want to configure this. It seems Veeam doesen't support the scenario I described
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi Magne!

Just curious - what is the goal of such configuration? Is cost a cornerstone here?
In v11 we are introducing Archive Tier for Scale-out repositories, which could cover your scenario, I believe.
Azure Blob to Azure Archive transfer supported, so recent GFS backups will stay in Blob and older ones can be moved to Archive allowing lower maintenance costs.

Best regards,
Oleg