Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Cambridge User
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Cambridge User

Cannot get VSS (Exchange) to work

Post by Cambridge User »

Hi,

I am new to VMWare and therefore Veeam also, and am trying to acheive the following:

I have installed Veeam 3.0.1 Backup and FastSCP on my local (Vista) workstation
I have added an ESX 3.5i server that I am trying to backup. It has a pre-production instance of Exchange 2007 on it.

The Exchange server has 5 volumes; 1 for system, one for all storage group logs, 3 for each of the storage groups.

I can back up the system vol fine on it's own without using VSS; when I try to backup a volume containing a storage group it fails basically stating that it cannot connect (I am absolutely sure that the account specified in the VSS portion of the job setup has the correct permissions as I use it with other backup methods).

Do I need to select the volume that contains the transaction logs as well as the volume that contains the storage group?

"Releasing VM files Cannot initialize information
about the guest's system. Target host: [10.x.x.x]. Cannot collect metrics about the guest's operation system. Cannot open sessions manager's registry key. Win32error:Access is denied. Code: 5"

Is the general message that I am getting.

Any help appreciated.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Re: Cannot get VSS (Exchange) to work

Post by Gostev »

Hello, it would be best if you open support case to work on this issue and provide us all logs from Help | Support information.

Meanwhile, you can also attempt to do the following from your Veeam Backup server:

1. Run the following command: net use \\<guest_host>\admin$ /u:<VSS_account_NT_4_compatible> <pwd>
i.e: net use \\host\admin$ /u:host\admin qwerty

2. After that, try to open the remote registry key with registry editor:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment

Thanks!
Cambridge User
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Cambridge User

Post by Cambridge User »

Hi

Registry is inaccessible from the Veeam backup server.

I have logged a call thanks but haven't had a response (to my response yet). I was asked to browse to a webpage with a URL containing the vm numerical host id. However, I'm not sure where to look to get that info - any ideas? It's ESX 3i v 3.5.0

Sorry still learning about vmware :D
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Post by Gostev »

Hello, I think that the inaccessible registry is exactly what is causing your issue, but it is best if you continue working with support because I do not know all the technical details and what our support requested you to do. Please let me know your support case number and I will request that they update you.