Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
FTL
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Backing Up SMB Share on Synology NAS fails after the first attempt

Post by FTL »

Hi,

Trying to backup a SMB share on a Synology NAS and it completes fine the very first time the job runs.

After that every other job attempt fails with the following:

Processing \\mynas\myshare Error: Agent: Failed to process method {MetaExtent.OpenBackup}: Cannot find object section in metadata info map by id. Section id: 00

Failed to perform repairing backup Error: Agent: Failed to process method {NasMaster.Repair}: Object section list is empty
Error: Agent: Failed to process method {NasMaster.Repair}: Object section list is empty

If i delete the job and backup data and setup it up again and run it, again it runs successfully once and then errors subsequently with same error.

Targetted repository are rotated USB disks

Have a support case open : Case #04328446 - but as it the Community edition i understand support is limited, so hoping maybe other members of the veeam community may be able to help out troubleshoot the issue?

Many Thanks
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Re: Backing Up SMB Share on Synology NAS fails after the first attempt

Post by soncscy » 1 person likes this post

Heya FTL (love that game),

Think your issue is the rotated drives, which aren't supported as per the matrix here:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... repository

I suppose what's happening is that the metadata for the backup (file share backups are pretty complex structure wise it seems) isn't on the next drive and it's inconsistent between the runs, so the job gets confused.

Probably, you need to just to periodic full backups for this for it to work, or just multiple jobs each targeting a different one of your rotated drives.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi folks,

Can confirm that repository with rotated drives wont work with nas backup. NAS jobs do not have periodic full backup functionality (it goes forever forward incremental), however you can start new backup chain whenever needed. Cheers!
FTL
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Post by FTL »

Ah ha, got you! simple one, i should have read the support docs closer. My bad.

Its only 100GB of data so ill just create a quick robocopy job and have the data copied to the file serveer each night and put into the file server image backup.

Thanks for the quick help