Disaster recovery orchestration for the Enterprise (formerly Veeam Availability Orchestrator)
andre.simard
Service Provider
Liked: 24 times

Proxy Appliance network limit

Post by andre.simard »

Hi,

Since there is a limit of 9 NIC attache to the virtual appliance, is there a way to assign specific vms within a Plan to a specific DataLab?

As exemple:
My Orchestration Plan has 40 VMs in it with 12 différents VLAN. So with the 9 NIC limit i need to configure 2 different DataLabs.

When i want to run a DataLab test is there a way to assign some VM to DataLab1 and the rest to datalab2?

Thank you
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Re: Proxy Appliance network limit

Post by Alec King »

Unfortunately VMware's 9-NIC limit will apply to DataLabs too. Currently you can only run one VAO datalab to test one VAO Plan. The workaround would be to split the plan into two so that only max 9 NICs are required in each plan, then they can be tested independently.

We are looking at new capabilities such as 'DataLab Pools' for future versions of VAO, which would eliminate the 9-NIC limit. Please add your feedback here if this would be useful. Thanks!
andre.simard
Service Provider

Post by andre.simard »

Hi Alec,

Thank you the reply.

Yes that will be very useful, since at the end if we want to protect all our vms with VAO it will be between 30 to 40 different VLANs that will be required into the DataLab.

It DataLab pool would definitly be somethihgs very useful to us!
jtupeck
Enthusiast
Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Jason Tupeck

Post by jtupeck »

This would be very useful in my former environment as well. I had forgotten about the NIC limit in VMware and struggled with the limit in DataLabs when working on DR processes there. Testing is done quarterly and the limits prohibit testing all VLANs without reconfiguring the DataLab and jobs. A DataLab pool would be an added benefit.
andre.simard
Service Provider

Post by andre.simard »

Alec King wrote: Aug 12, 2020 4:08 pm We are looking at new capabilities such as 'DataLab Pools' for future versions of VAO, which would eliminate the 9-NIC limit. Please add your feedback here if this would be useful. Thanks!
Alec, any idea how long we should wait for this feature? Are we talking about months? Years?

Right now i have to create 3 differents virtual lab and split all my Orchestrator plan into multiple one to be able to test the DR plan.
andre.simard
Service Provider

Post by andre.simard »

Hi Alec,

Any update on this? is it still in the roadmap?

Thank you
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Post by Alec King »

Hi Andre, Unfortunately there is no feature of lab-pooling in the upcoming v6 of Orchestrator. This is still in our backlog and I hope we will add it to a future version.
sethrandall
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Seth Randall

Post by sethrandall »

Is there any update on improving the number of available VLANs and networks?
jim.carter
Veeam Software
Liked: never
Full Name: Jim Carter

Post by jim.carter »

+1 for lab-pooling, or some other work-around of vNIC limitation; have a customer (~ 2000 vm's) needing this
sethrandall
Novice
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Seth Randall

Post by sethrandall » 3 people like this post

Pooling shouldn't be necessary. If the VLAB VMs were changed to use a trunk vNIC then they could use Linux subinterfaces for virtually unlimited VLANs. I have tested a change to the scripts to see if this would work and it seems good. The patches require a lot of manual changes to the GUI created files.

The code patch is here if it is of use to the devs.

https://gist.github.com/sethrandall/743 ... 3827d322c9