Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
vbussiro
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Perform definitive failover

Post by vbussiro »

I set up a replication between two hosts in a vcenter.
I messed up the source and sucessfully performed the failover to replica. I want now the replica to become the source of replication, without modifying the job, to keep the previous replicas (in order to be able to restore older files if needed). I don't think moving it and rename will be enough. Am I right ?
I wish there was an option to "restore from replica/failover".
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Perform definitive failover

Post by Gostev »

Hello, I would do this:
1) Stop you original replication job, disable scheduled runs.
2) Clone your replica to a new VM (this clone will be your new production VM and replication source).
3) Perform "undo failover" for your replica to return it to the state before failover.
4) Now the job will no longer run, but you should be able to restore from created replica and earlier point of times.

If your cloned VM carries over failover snapshot from replica (snapshot on replica was created automatically when you perform "Failover" in Veeam Backup), you need to simply remove it with VIC (you don't need it on new VM).

Hope this helps.
vbussiro
Enthusiast

Post by vbussiro »

In this case, i'll have to reconfigure replication for the cloned VM, thus adding a new replica into destination ESX right ?
I wonder why there's no option to do this autmatically, since when a fail over occurs, users will work on the fail over replica and want to keep their work...

In my test lab, i destroyed the source VM, then moved and rename replica into its original location, and reconfigured the job. Job wil run fine now, but I still got the backup/replica/job list "failovered" VM available for the "undo fail over" action, which won't work anyway, and I can't get rid of it. I think I must configure a new replication job entirely, but what a pain...
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, you are right. And we do plan to add full fail-back to source down the road as well.
vbussiro
Enthusiast

Post by vbussiro »

Great.
Morevover, this problem happened with a client equipped with an esx foundation and a free esxi, and there no vmotion...I must fail back this night :(