Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JosueM
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Josue Maldonado

Hardware refresh comments suggestions

Post by JosueM »

Good day everyone,

We currently have a 1gbps storage network with an iscsi array and 3 servers, backups are done to separate 1gbps iscsi array and one windows physical server, all working acceptable so far but equipment is dated and money is certainly scarce.

We been thinking to keep 1gbps iscsi infraestructure and just buy new servers so we can use current ones as spare, but also we thinking to move to 10G iscsi or fiber channel however the cons would be the backup infraestructure will be still on 1Gbps Iscsi.

Appreciate your suggestions or coments about this.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Hardware refresh comments suggestions

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I would ask the question how much money do different kinds of outages cost and how likely they are happening. With that (simplified) risk profile, someone (head of company) needs to take responsibility for the investments in IT.

If you come to the result, that a large amount of restores "never" happen, then backup infrastructure is fine on 1G. If you think, that restores (just divide the amount of data with 1G) are too slow, then I would add 10G to the backup infrastructure (or make one of the new production servers only 1 G and the backup infrastructure 10G)

Best regards,
Hannes
JosueM
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Josue Maldonado

Re: Hardware refresh comments suggestions

Post by JosueM »

Thanks Hannesk, very important your point, in the last five years we have had very few restores I would say less than 10 overall and for the critic sql server only 1 I can remember it was this year.

I believe the challenge comes from data volume increase so that makes some restores takes long time.