Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jjbr
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Julio Villarreal

Multiple SQL Server restore issues

Post by jjbr »

Good evening,

I'm facing multiple issues when trying to restore Microsoft SQL Server databases from VMware virtual machines (agentless backup).

Environment:
- Veeam Backup & Replication 10 (10.0.1.4854, updated from update 1 and 2)
- vCenter Server 6.5.0 build 9451637
- VM: Windows Server 2012 R2
- Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Standard Edition
- Backup routine is schedule for daily backups using forward incremental and weekly synthetics (no transform)
- Application processing is using default configuration
- One VBR Server;
- One VBR Proxy/Repo server;

About the backup: The backup itself completes successfully without issues.

The issue on restoring sql server databases:

For some specific databases:
When trying to do an "Export backup" (.bak) I receive a message: "Restore to the specified database '(X)' cannot be performed as it is configured for database mirroring. You can specify different target database name."
This is awkward because:
1 - The database is not mirrored;
2 - I'm doing an "Export" and not a "Restore";
3 - If I try and do an actual "Restore database", it works!

What was tried to solve this issue:
1 - Configure mirror on one of those databases and then remove it right after (trying to remove some sort of "ghost" sql flag or whatever). Take a backup: Same behaviour;

For all databases:
When trying to do a "Restore schema", 'Export files" or "Export schema" I receive a message: "Access is denied. RPC client is not a member of built-in Administrators group. --tr:Error code: 0x80070005"
This is awkward because:
1 - Veeam service user is a Domain Admin (therefore local admin on all Windows machines) and a SQL Server sysadmin.

What was tried to solve this issue:
1 - Explicitly adding veeam service user as local administrator and adding Veeam Server and Veeam Proxy/Repo Server AD computer domain account as Local administrators AND as SQL Server sysadmin: Same behaviour;
2 - Removing antivirus software: Same behaviour.

Already have an open support case: 04289388

I gotta say that this has been hitting me for a while now and nothing out of it makes sense. I could use some sort of insight (or maybe a miracle).
My last bet is to delete all SQL backups and start over (so as to remove some sort of dirt from Veeam database but it's a long shot).
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Multiple SQL Server restore issues

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I just checked the error messages than there are too many possible reasons. I won't start guessing on the forums.

In my lab, I also got access denied issues when I had a DNS issue last week... the error message is too generic.

As I see, t hat the case is a month old and still in tier one, I suggest to escalate the case ("talk to a manager" in my.veeam.com)

Best regards,
Hannes