Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
FrancWest
Veteran
Liked: 93 times
Full Name: Franc

Health check fails with error

Post by FrancWest »

Hi,

in my lab running v10a I run health check every week. I have 8 VMs running, backups are created in forward incrementals every day on a ReFS repository consisting on 1 drive. During the health check I sometimes get this error: 'The file system detected a checksum error and was not able to correct it. The name of the file or folder is ....'

Today it happened on two of the .vib files created a week ago, the week before also on 2 .vib files.

The drive is a 16TB Seagate Exos Enterprise drive. Brand new, only 2 weeks old.

It doesn't give any S.M.A.R.T. errors and there are no read/write errors. It just that reFS integrity stream/veeam health check detects something is wrong. Sure it's only a lab which is backing up to 1 drive, but still.. Anyone experience this also with this drive? Is the drive bad? Or should I look into something else? What might cause this issue?

On a second note: the results shown in the backup status only show the first file that failed the health check, it doesn't report it if more than one file fails. You have to look in the eventlog for EventID 133 to see what files are affected.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Health check fails with error

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Franc,

Likely it's related to ReFS and not to hardware. Can you check if the solution mentioned here helps - ReFS Corruption When Filled To Capacity? Cheers!
FrancWest
Veteran

Post by FrancWest »

Hi Dima,

thanks, but that's not the case here. There's plenty free space on the volume:

DISKPART> detail vol

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
* Disk 2 Online 14 TB 1024 KB *

Read-only : No
Hidden : No
No Default Drive Letter: No
Shadow Copy : No
Offline : No
BitLocker Encrypted : No
Installable : Yes

Volume Capacity : 13 TB
Volume Free Space : 5645 GB
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Franc,

Several articles mention that this could be a typical ReFS issue and should be corrected by ReFS self diagnostics. I've also found this old post and based on that I'd recommend checking with our support team. Cheers!
FrancWest
Veteran

Post by FrancWest »

Hi Dima,

Since this is a lab machine which only has one drive, there’s no self repair. I suspect something is wrong with the new drive since I’ve lost the entire repository 2 times now (it showed up as raw). Also, vsphere reported VMFS corruption on the datastore which has been created on the drive where the vmdk is located on (this is a virtual veeam server in our lab). I’ll do some intensive drive testing the next couple of days.