Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
johannesk
Expert
Liked: 31 times
Full Name: Jóhannes Karl Karlsson

Copy job for a copy job

Post by johannesk »

hi

I know the subject sounds strange. But here is what we need.

We are replacing the proxy/repository servers with new hardware/storage. Thus we clone existing backup jobs and point them to the new repository and start backing up. The old restore points are on the old repositories. Not all of those restore points are relevent to keep for more than a few weeks, but some are. Thus we don't want to migrate everyting to the new repository on the repository extent level. I was wandering if I could just create a copy job to copy the relevant backup jobs to the new repository. Now we have older restore points on the copy jobs, not the primary jobs. Thus there are some copy jobs we want to migrate from the old repository to the new repository.

But I don't see the option to create a copy job, to copy a copy job to a repository.

Is there some way to acomplish this? Is it possible to create a backup job and have that target the data for the copy job, and then create a copy job for that?

I'm excited to see your thoughts on this.

Regards,
Jóhannes
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Copy job for a copy job

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hi Johannes,

If you want to perform one-time copy of backup files from one repository to another, you may take a look at file copy job or move files manually.

The backup copy job mapping is also possible if you want to continue running a job using already existing backup chain as an initial seed.

Thanks!
johannesk
Expert
Liked: 31 times
Full Name: Jóhannes Karl Karlsson

Post by johannesk » 1 person likes this post

Hi Petr,

The file copy job seems to be what I need. I had no idea about this kind of jobs existing.

I have now created a file copy job that copies a copy job from all the extents of the old repository, to a single folder on the new repository.

From there I can do 'Import backup' from the rippon in the GUI.

Thanks!!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Johannes,

Instead of keeping all backups in a single folder, I would recommend to use separate folders for different jobs like for example: C:\Repository\Job1, C:\Repository\Job2 etc.

Thanks!