Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
vmtech123
Veeam Legend
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: SP

Multi SAN and Library question.

Post by vmtech123 »

Hello

I have 2 sites, and a fast connection between them, Each site has it's own REPO, and tape library.

The current path is storage snap to the primary repo, then a secondary GFS copy job to the REPO at site 2.

If I configure a library at each site for archiving and air gap, how would i configure the TO TAPE jobs each site.

At Site one, I could just add a TAPE job as another secondary copy job. but from site two, would I not use GFS as the SAN already has GFS backups?

I would prefer retrieving the backups off the secondary REPO to save the inter-site network traffic, but am also trying to save a ton of synthetic operations as well.

I was hoping the VMCE course would dive into this a bit more, but I suppose the advanced course or forums would be more helpful.

Second question, would I be better off with forever forward than synthetic when using a Secondary copy job to tape? I have read the documents over and over and i under stand how it would create a synthetic on the specified day for the tape job if I used forever forward.. I just don't get what happens when synthetics are already enabled on the primary job. Does is just copy the synthetic already in place (if that is the case it really wouldn't make much difference) or does it create a new one wasting resources.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Multi SAN and Library question.

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
if you choose the secondary site as source for the backup to tape job, then there will be no inter-site traffic.

As I assume that you use REFS / XFS block cloning (https://www.veeam.com/blog/advanced-ref ... suite.html), there is no real waste of resources.

The primary job and the backup copy job are completely independent from each other. A backup copy job does not simply copy backup files. It copies the required data...

Best regards,
Hannes
vmtech123
Veeam Legend
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: SP

Post by vmtech123 »

I found this in the documentation if anyone else has this issue

"Do not use backup copy jobs with the GFS retention to create a GFS tape archive. The tape jobs do not archive the GFS restore points from disk."

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Scott,

That's correct. Tape job either uses the existing full on disk for GFS backup or synthesize full backup from incremental restore point if that's required. Cheers!