PowerShell script exchange
snowmizer
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Job Failure Notifications

Post by snowmizer »

I am setting up Veeam backups and am working on how our oncall person will receive notifications if a backup fails. Currently we receive a text message that states which backup failed and what time. After reading several posts on this forum I have come up with some questions.

1. Is it possible to only receive a notification after the third retry fails?
2. The emails sent by Veeam are HTML. These won't come through our phones as MMS text messages. We don't currently receive work emails on our phones because we use our personal phones. We don't want to set this up so that it will email our personal email accounts.

How can I generate a failure message that is not HTML? Do I have to write a powershell script to accomplish this?

All I really need is which job failed, which VM and a time.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Job Failure Notifications

Post by foggy »

1. The first option is already on our feature list (see this topic for more discussing).
2. Yes, I believe you can use scripting to create such a report. Please search this forum for some examples. This one might be helpful.
snowmizer
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Post by snowmizer »

I had looked at both of the posts you recommended. It sounds to me like if a job fails 3 times then people were getting an email each time it fails. Is that correct? I would agree that I would only want a failure email once the job has retried the backup 3 times. I don't want 4 notifications. One requirement is that we are notified immediately after a failure so we can look at the job and if necessary restart the backup. Can you kick off a powershell script as a post-backup action that would look at the status of the job and then send the message?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I don't think there is a ready-made script for this case. You can play with given examples yourself or maybe one of our powershell gurus comes up with something..
Sethbartlett
Veteran
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Seth Bartlett

Post by Sethbartlett »

Snowmizer, what would you want the e-mail to say? It should be pretty easy to write a post-backup script that checks your jobs and sends out an e-mail through powershell. Did you want something that runs once a day or maybe runs after your last job finishes and then sends a text with all jobs/vms failing or one per job or how would you want that set up?
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
Twitter: @sethbartlett
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.