Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

unrestorable file taking up space on repository

Post by ejenner »

Hi guys,

I'm sure this has come up before at some point.

I've got a file sitting on my copy repository which isn't available in the restore selections.

When I open the restore dialogue for this backup the earliest available restore point is the second file on that list dated 06/10/2019. The first file doesn't appear in the selection.

Should I delete that earlier file or could it be useful if it was desperately required for some reason? Could we 'import' it to Veeam and get the data out of it?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: unrestorable file taking up space on repository

Post by foggy »

Do you mean the VM state corresponding to the first file in the list above is not available for selection in the restore wizard? What kind of restore are you performing? Full VM restore? Any chance the required VM is not contained in that restore point (was not backed up by this job at that time)? What retention setting do you have for quarterly restore points?
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

Hi foggy. It's a Windows Agent backup of files. But essentially yes, when you look for restore points the top file isn't shown. The earliest restore point is the second file from October last year.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

And what about my other questions? My first suspicion is that the computer in question is not contained in that backup file that's why it is not displayed as an available restore point for it.
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

As far as I know all is equal for both backups. i.e. all the same files, folders, computers... whatever. All the same for both dates. The resource being backed up is one of the drives on our clustered file server.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Then this does look a bit unexpected to me. Since the file is registered in the database, I believe it is good and can be used for restores - haven't you tried any ther restore types? Anyway, I'd recommend asking support to look closer to identify the possible reason for such behavior.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Hm, judging by the file size, it does indeed has only one of the two objects backed up. Are you positive you're trying to restore the one that is listed first in the Objects area?