Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
talle@natali.co.il
Lurker
Liked: never

add a description to a specific backup

Post by talle@natali.co.il »

Hello.

We have a backup job (windows agent) that runs every day.
We want to add some key words to 1 specific job run so we could know what is the state of the windows machine without having to restore it first.
I know there is an option to add a description to the entire job itself but is it possible to add a description to only 1 of the backup run?
I was suggested by Veeam's support to look into windows tag (in the properties of the VBK file) but unfortunately VBK (or VIB) files doesn't support tagging.

Thanks in advance.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: add a description to a specific backup

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Could you maybe explain what you mean with "state of the machine"? From a backup perspective there is success / warning / failed and this is available in the logs.

I guess, that it is Windows that does not support tagging for all file types. At least that's what the first few google hits tell me.

Probably the easiest way is to maintain that description somewhere externally (database, file, whatever is comfortable)

Best regards,
Hannes
talle@natali.co.il
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by talle@natali.co.il »

Hi, thanks for the suggestion.

what i mean by "state of the machine" is a short description with a few keywords that will allow me to easily search for it later on.
for example, if i want to make some changes on a server (lets say install some software) i want to start a manual run to have a backup right before those changes. so i want to tag that manual run with a description like "before installing XXXXX" (sort of like you add a description to a snapshot in VMWare). so later on when i want to restore to an older state i could know what is the "state" of the server without having to restore it first.

i guess i could keep those descriptions externally like you mentioned but that will complicate things a bit and make the use of the entire Veeam's solution a bit uncomfortable. i was hoping to find some elegant workaround as, like stated by Veeam's support, Veeam doesn't offer that option.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Talle,

Thank you for the feedback. It's noted.