Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
pob579
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

backup data in folder from particular creation date

Post by pob579 »

Hi,
I have a job used to backup all the data in the Folder (multiple subfolders).

I need to leave all the structure intact and make a backup to a New Tape (in existing pool).
The most important need is:

Only the data added from September 5 and after must be backed up.
All what what was created before Sep 5 is on the tape that will be removed for archive.

The question: how to "tell" to an existing job to backup the data in an existing folder only from assigned creation date?
I checked quickly all the options including advanced and don't see this option.

Even simple Microsoft task scheduler has this kind of setting. Hope I can accomplish this directly in VEEAM without doing other "tricks" with MS scheduled tasks.

Thanks.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2887 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: backup data in folder from particular creation date

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
hmm, maybe I misunderstood you, but I have never heard that a backup software backs up anything else than "the latest state".

Are you talking about "file-to-tape" or "backup-to-tape" jobs? In general: if you ran a backup on 4th September, then the next backup run (on 5th September or later) will only back up data that was added after 4th September (well, everything after the time of last backup)

I'm not which setting you mean in Windows task scheduler. Scheduling and "what to back up" are two different things.

Best regards,
Hannes
pob579
Enthusiast

Post by pob579 »

Hi Hannes,
let me try to rephrase ...

1. Folder Data Backup on D: of the server where VEEAM is installed.
This folder contains Data from another server (very special one :) ) that is backed up to Tape daily.

2. Subfolders in Folder Data Backups structured by month: Oct 2019, Nov 2019 etc until current - Sep 2020

3. By end of Sep 2020 I need to remove the Tape containing backups from Oct 2019 to Sep 2020.

4. Oct 1 2020 new Tape will be inserted . All what is needed: Only the Data from Oct 1 2020 should be backed up to the new tape added to the pool.

If I will just insert the new Tape of the pool by default all the Data from Oct 2019 will be dumped to the new tape.

AGAIN: I need that only the Data from Oct 1 2020 in the folder D:\Data Backup (containing Oct 2019-Sep 2020) will be backed up to the new tape.

OUT of topic:
I mentioned MS TaskSchd because in case of Veeam incapability to do what I need, I created new folder on D:, created XCOPY batch with the switch D:month-day-year and it starts to copy ONLY the data from the date in XCOPY switch. Then this heck will copy what I need to a new folder. Then I have to tell VEEAM to grab the daily data to tape and run another batch for deleting backed up daily data for keeping the disk space in shape without duplicate.

So what I am looking for in VEEAM the kind of D:month-day-year switch that is available in MS TaskSchd.

Hope you will be able to understand my need.
And may be find the answer :).

Thanks.
Michael.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Michael,

The only way to organize what you're asking for is to group data into folders based on the time stamp manually (I guess this might be automated, right?) and then point your tape job to that folder. There is no way to select a date as a filter for the backup/tape job.

Thanks!
pob579
Enthusiast

Post by pob579 »

Spasibo Vitalik!
As mentioned the original folder must be intact...
I will go the way I prepared the test for switch day - 1 Oct.
I will copy daily folder to another folder and will take backup to tape from it. Then this day data will be removed.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hey Michael, Yep, I saw that ;) Looks like copying data to another folder is a solution for now.