Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Fegume
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Backup Copy StoreOnce Repository

Post by Fegume »

Hello I have two issue with re backup copy between HPE StoreOnces.

My enviroment:

Site A
--------
Veeam server
LAN Backup: 192.168.0.x--> network connectivity to Site B
LAN backup copy: 10.10.0.x --> isolated network

StoreOnce Source
LAN Backup: 192.168.0.x --> network connectivity to Site B
LAN backup copy: 10.10.0.x --> isolated network

Site B
-------------------------------

StoreOnce target
LAN backup copy: 10.10.0.x --> network connectivity to Site A

Issue ONE: How I do it?:
I need:

- Backup Job Site A on StoreOnce Sitea with network LAN backup copy: 10.10.0.x --> isolated network
- Backup Copy Site A HPE storeOnce repository to Site B HPE storeOnce repository with network LAN backup copy: 10.10.0.x --> network connectivity to Sites

Issue TWO:
I try Backup Job to StoreOnce Site A(192.168.0.5) --> ok
I Backup Copy Site A HPE storeOnce repository to Site B HPE storeOnce repository(192.168.0.200)

I show this meessage:
Backup copy was canceled: Server Incorrect Address Or Protocol

I think is for the diffentent network, but this example is the same subnet.

Any idea??
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Backup Copy StoreOnce Repository

Post by Andreas Neufert »

My guess is that the connection between the 2 StoreOnces is somehow not possible as Catalyst Copy uses StoreOnce=>StoreOnce connection for this.
It is done I think over the same network as the Veeam connection to the StorOnce.

Maybe HPE has an option to cofigure the 2 StoreOnces in a way that they use the Isolated network?
markdpolin
Veeam Software
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Mark Polin

Post by markdpolin »

Hello Fegume,

two quick questions:
What version of Veeam Backup & Replication are you running?
if Version 10, are you trying to do a Veeam Backup Copy job or a Catalyst Copy job between site A and Site B?

Thank you
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Right, I'd first make sure you're using the backup copy using Catalyst Copy. In that case it should work provided the target StoreOnce device is added in Veeam using the address on the required network (10.10.0.x in your case) and both devices are properly connected over this network. In case you're using regular backup copy jobs, you need to designate gateway servers on the required network and use preferred network settings.
Fegume
Enthusiast

Post by Fegume »

Hello,

I try explain better in this document: https://1drv.ms/w/s!AhEgG4C2IYtVg9R6PBK ... g?e=SYMdmm
CLDonohoe
Veeam Software
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Christopher Donohoe

Post by CLDonohoe »

Hi, if I'm understanding your question properly, the StoreOnce A has two IP addresses, but it is added to Veeam with the 192.168.0.5 IP address (or a DNS name pointing to this address). Backups work properly.

After the backup job, you want to be able to configure a Catalyst Copy job from StoreOnce A (added with IP address 192.168.0.5) to StoreOnce B (which has been added to Veeam with the IP address of 10.10.0.200). So there needs to be proper networking between the two.

In StoreOnce A, can you ping or traceroute to StoreOnce B? Settings --> Networking --> Ping/Traceroute

Also, is there anything in the StoreOnce event logs which may help identify the problem?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I can only repeat my previous statement. You need to make sure that both devices see each other on the 10.10.0.x network and you're adding the target using the address in this very network. I'm not sure if this works via the hosts file as Veeam B&R explicitly passes over the target StoreOnce address it knows to Catalyst Copy.
Fegume
Enthusiast

Post by Fegume »

CLDonohoe,

Is you see my Picture Environment. The Net Backup no have routing is solated network.

If I add StoreOnce Site A with IP 10.10.0.5 and the StoreOnce Site B IP 10.10.0.200, the backup copy Catalyst replication is work.

If I add StoreOnce Site A with IP 192.168.0.5 and the StoreOnce Site B IP 192.168.0.200, the backup copy Catalyst replication is dont' work, the solated networks.

The idea is:

Add add StoreOnce Site A with IP 192.168.0.5 only Backup Job in Site A and use the same StoreOnce Site A with IP 10.10.0.5 as source backup copy Catalyst replication to StoreOnce Site B IP 10.10.0.200.

The problem is that I will add the same StoreOnce with two IPs, for Veeam is two StoreOnce diffenrent and the replication Catalys Failed.
CLDonohoe
Veeam Software
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Christopher Donohoe

Post by CLDonohoe »

@Fegume we do not recommend adding the same StoreOnce with different IPs or different DNS addresses. This will cause unpredictable behavior for jobs. I feel like the best option is to go with Foggy's suggestion. Use the 10.10.0.x network for your backup infrastructure.
foggy wrote: Sep 01, 2020 8:23 pm Right, I'd first make sure you're using the backup copy using Catalyst Copy. In that case it should work provided the target StoreOnce device is added in Veeam using the address on the required network (10.10.0.x in your case) and both devices are properly connected over this network. In case you're using regular backup copy jobs, you need to designate gateway servers on the required network and use preferred network settings.