Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
Tecnici FC Sistemi
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Christian Bisti

Bare metal restore from B&R 10 repository

Post by Tecnici FC Sistemi »

Hello everyone

I'm trying to migrate a Hyper-V VM to VMWare. The direct conversion takes too long (more than 5 days) so I'm trying to restore the entire VM from a Veeam Backup.
I'm using the B&R Community Edition to perform backup (and it works) on a NAS.
I've tryed to perform an "Istant Recovery to VMWare", but it returns "vPower NFS" errors, so I'm trying to restore using the Endpoint Agent Restore disk.
The problem is that, even if I choose "Veeam Backup Repository" or "Network Storage" as source, I can't see any backup file in the source folder (but I can see an old backup, made with Veeam Agent).
Is there any incompatibility between these two products?

Thank you
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Bare metal restore from B&R 10 repository

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Christian,
I've tryed to perform an "Istant Recovery to VMWare", but it returns "vPower NFS" errors, so I'm trying to restore using the Endpoint Agent Restore disk.
Can you please share the screenshot of the error?
I'm trying to restore using the Endpoint Agent Restore disk.
I'd recommend to try bare metal recovery instead. Volume level restore is not designed to migrate operating system volumes (should be used to restore data volumes to the existing operating systems).
The problem is that, even if I choose "Veeam Backup Repository" or "Network Storage" as source, I can't see any backup file in the source folder (but I can see an old backup, made with Veeam Agent).Is there any incompatibility between these two products?
Should work, can you clarify what volume level restore option you are using? At the agent side or within Veeam B&R?
Tecnici FC Sistemi
Novice

This is the error for Instant Recovery

But I know this isn't the correct forum, so... let's go further...

Using Veeam Agent Recovery Disk (booting from ISO in a new VM created in the destination ESXi host) I've performed the Bare Metal recovery, not the Volume Level recovery, but choosing the source of the backup (the full path to the NAS, complete of credentials to get access), I only see an empty window. In other case, if I choose the path (on the same NAS) to a folder containing an old backup, made with Veeam Agent Endpoint instead of B&R, it shows me the backupped server with all the restore points.
You can say "just install Veeam Agent on that VM and make a new backup". I've already tried but for some strange reason, VAE stop working after a succesfull installation on that server, and I still don't know why. Thisi is the reason I've tried to use B&R
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Christian,
error for Instant Recovery
Based on the screenshot it looks like a local infrastructure issue: cant translate the text could it be related to connectivity issues or account access problems?
I only see an empty window. In other case, if I choose the path (on the same NAS) to a folder containing an old backup, made with Veeam Agent Endpoint instead of B&R, it shows me the backupped server with all the restore points.
While connecting to the Veeam B&R server during recovery make sure you've used the Veeam B&R admin account. It's required to view all the agent backups on the repository. Cheers!
Tecnici FC Sistemi
Novice

There was a problem with the HD where the datastore was located. Thank's