Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mrholm
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Mats Holm

Proxy AFfinity and Data Domain Repos

Post by mrholm »

Hi
In our DC's we have 2-8 physical Windows Proxies that share the backup load from the VMware environment.
In the DC's we also have a Data Domain to hold secondary copies and it work OK for most of the time. The DD are setup with automatic gateway and have proxy affinity allowing only the proxies at site.
As Mount server we have the Veeam VBR server at site and now we see that Veeam a lot of times read data from the backup repositories using the proxies specified in affinity but Veeam sends the data to the Veeam VBR server and this one is responsible for the write to DD.
Is this really correct? Is it not the gateway that should write data and not the mount server?

//Mats
mrholm
Expert

Re: Proxy AFfinity and Data Domain Repos

Post by mrholm »

to clarify, the VBR server is not in proxy affinity only the proxies but the VBR i sset as mount server on DD repo.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Mats, if you use automatic gateway selection, then the mount server associated with the repository is selected by default.
mrholm
Expert

Post by mrholm »

OK, so proxy affinity is useless to set on DD repos since I can only have one Mount Server on a rep. In my case when I have 8 proxies available as gateway servers you can understand I want to set this to automatic to load balance. So for me I can set a specific gateway and have the same as mount server since Veeam allways choss this anyway.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Proxies do not take part in backup copy job and proxy affinity rules don't affect gateway selection, so yes, it's useless in this case.