Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
aschalk
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Trigger Post Script Backup Job

Post by aschalk »

Hey community,

is there a way to trigger the Post Script before a Synthetic Full backup or Health Check?
We have a archive solution in place which will not work until the post script is triggered, but these two commands take lots of time.
In our case it is not neccesary to have the Post Script triggered after these commands, as these commands will not have any impact on the live VMs.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1407 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Trigger Post Script Backup Job

Post by Andreas Neufert »

There is no way with the Job Scripts.
Did you had a look at the per VM/Server scripts at the guest processing?
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=100
aschalk
Enthusiast

Post by aschalk »

We use VMware Tags as object target. Will the Post-Thaw Script trigger after every VM that is tagged, or just once?
We need it to trigger just once.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1407 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

When you add Jobs by Tags, you will see the Tag as "group" in the guest processing - applications (button) area.
You can then disable the guest processing for this group if you did not used it today (select the group and then press "edit" and select "disable application processing". Potentially even remove the group if it is possible completely. Anyway specifically if it is windows it makes sense to use the guest processing for consistency for all servers?

To enable the guest processing for just the one server, you can add this server in addition to the "Tags" group you have added to the job. Individual VM settings will be used prefered over the group setting. Go to the "Add..." button in the guest processing and select from the group the server that you want to process. You can then define the guest processing for this specific VM.
In the settings you can then enable script processing for the added VM.
aschalk
Enthusiast

Post by aschalk »

Thanks for the information Andreas. But I cannot figure out the answer to my question within your explaination. I will try to add some more detail to my question.
There are two VMs with the VM Tag. We need to handle both in one Job to be consistent. We need to run the script once after VM snapshots of both VMs are deleted but before synthetic full backup or health check are done. Is this somehow possible?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I think this is not possible. These scripts are triggered per-VM.