Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mark denton
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: mark denton

Storage Snapshot (Nimble) as Replication Source

Post by mark denton »

Hello
It does not seem to me that using Storage Snapshots backups as a source for vm replication is a not a supported option when selecting the source during job creation. Is this correct? If so is it on the roadmap or is there a technical reason as to why this would not be a good idea. I currently use SAN transport on a 4 hour increment and if I could use Nimble snaps for replication source (just one x additional mount.. or just leave the volume mounted on the proxy for the replication job) then that appear to a more efficient method.
jmmarton
Veeam Software
Liked: 309 times
Full Name: Joe Marton

Re: Storage Snapshot (Nimble) as Replication Source

Post by jmmarton »

This is because storage snapshots are only used the first time a VM is replicated. After that we're simply taking VMware snapshots and copying those snaps across to the target datastore.

Joe
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Mark, could you please elaborate on the scenario you're looking for? Replication jobs can use storage snapshots to retrieve data just like the backup jobs do. Are you probably talking about replication from the secondary storage snapshot, which is not currently possible?
mark denton
Novice

Post by mark denton »

Joe.. foggy.. thanks for your replies.. I use SAN path for most vms (to single proxy then to disk repo then tape). Some vms, where they are deployed in a pair (I have 2 sites.. 2 clusters, 2 nimbles etc) are deployed across sites and I just use Veeam controlled Nimble snapshots. If I create a new replication job for one of those VMs there is nothing explicit in the wizard permitting me to say.. use Nimble shapshots as the source. If I could mount those on the proxy I don't have to have a second round of vm snapshots going, I can use the originals pits that comprise the backup. Also.. I can avoid having a dedicated disk repository for vm application protection altogether if I've got enough faith in my Nimble (file, sql etc will still go to a repo). If I do instant vm recovery.. does the Nimble snapshot get mounted on the proxy and exported via NFS? (also wondering)
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

For the job to use storage snapshots as a data source, you need to select the 'Enable backup from storage snapshots' check box in the job settings.

Here's the description of the restore process in case of storage snapshots.
mark denton
Novice

Post by mark denton »

Thanks foggy.. in this case then on the step where you select the vms the source button is not used and left as default which is "From production story (actual vm state)".. which I thought implied (only) that vm snapshots would be used as source points... I think I'm just going to try it out :-)
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Right. The second option there ('From backup files') switches the job to using backups as a data source - so called replication from backup functionality.