Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
comunic
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: comunic

[How to] Disable Waring about Sharepoint ?

Post by comunic »

Hi all,
i just install VAW on an SBS 2011 server, which is unfortunately bundled with Sharepoint server.
I don't care about it, because it is not used (and most probalby not functionnal).

I receive an error "Failed to connect to SharePoint: Failed to connect to the SharePoint farm ".
I know it possible do disable warning for free space with a reggistry tweak, is possible to do the same ?
Thank's !
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: [How to] Disable Waring about Sharepoint ?

Post by Dima P. »

Hi comunic,

Do you have application aware checkbox checked? Any other application you are protecting? Thanks
comunic
Novice

Post by comunic »

Hello
Yes Exchange and SQL !
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thanks. Let me check with QA folks.
comunic
Novice

Post by comunic »

thank's !
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Looks like it’s impossible to disable the warning (I've added this functionality as a feature request). As a potential workaround, try to enter the correct credentials for SharePoint backup.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

I have the same issue on multiple SBS servers. SharePoint is built into SBS, but we disable it because no one uses it, reducing overhead on the SBS server. The issue then is that Veeam Agent warns that it could not connect to the "SharePoint farm".

All the recommendations I've read seem to suggest not to uninstall SharePoint as it could cause problems. I have uninstalled it on one SBS server just to see what happens, and so far it seems to be ok, but I'm loathe to do it on the rest, hence why I would also like Veeam to add this to the next version.
comunic
Novice

Post by comunic »

Hi Alex,
i am exacly on the same situation, sharepoint is preinstalled and has never been used.
I even think it's not functionnal, so providing credentials for sharepoint farm to veeam doesn't stop the warning.
I am a bit affraid to uninstall essential componnents of SBS...

If it's not possible to disable the warning, it should be possible to select which application to backup :)
Vichra
Lurker

Post by Vichra »

same situation, looking for a solution that isn't ignoring warnings or unnecessary server modifications
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi guys,

I noted this feature request (it's currently not possible to skip SharePoint if you have application aware processing checked).

Possible workarounds:

1. Specify SharePoint adimn credentials in the backup wizard
2. Remove SharePoint from the SBS (looks like it's ok - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... nessserver)
WBLimburg
Lurker
Full Name: Wouter Bosmans

Post by WBLimburg »

You can disable Veeam Application Aware processing for Microsoft SharePoint by renaming a specific file in the Veeam Agent for Windows installation folder.

By default, Veeam Agent for Windows create a program directory in: "C:\Program Files\Veeam\Endpoint Backup".
Here you find the following files:
  • Veeam.VSS.SharePoint2010.exe
  • Veeam.VSS.SharePoint2013.exe
  • Veeam.VSS.SharePoint2016.exe
  • Veeam.VSS.SharePoint2019.exe
For example, if you are using Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010, then rename Veeam.VSS.SharePoint2010.exe to something like Veeam.VSS.SharePoint2010_disabled.exe

Next backup cycle, Veeam Agent will skip application aware processing for MS SharePoint 2010.
You wil get no console warning or error log events. If you have enabled the e-mail notifications feature of the Veeam Agent, your e-mail will also give status "Successful" (if no other unrelated error's occurred).

But be aware:
  • Only use this technique if you have disabled the MS Sharepoint services
in Windows.
  • If the Microsoft SharePoint-related services are actually in use by your organisation and are not disabled, then backup issues can occur by renaming specific program files.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello WBLimburg,

Thanks for sharing your workaround. Mind me asking, was it provided by support team or you've created it on your own? Cheers!
WBLimburg
Lurker
Full Name: Wouter Bosmans

Post by WBLimburg »

I found this workaround myself.

Veeam Support recommended to remove Microsoft SharePoint completely .

But this will break some of the Microsoft Small Business Server (SBS 2011) functions and dashboards, because SBS 2011 and MS SharePoint are deeply integrated: a for SBS 2011 customized version of MS SharePoint comes preinstalled by SBS 2011, and removing SharePoint in SBS 2011 is officially unsupported by Microsoft.

Also, some organisations have actively used Microdoft SharePoint in the past (and have now just disabled it) and want to keep historic data and content.

The solution provided is safe to use when you have disabled all the MS SharePoint related Windows Services and objects in MS IIS 7. Since MS SharePoint isn't running then, the SharePoint datastore content will not/can't change, so the Veeam Backup Agent does not need to be application aware in terms of VSS Writer operations.

This approach won't break SBS 2011 and can be safely reversed (just rename file to orogonal name) when you want to put your SharePoint farm back in production.

External : How To Disable SBS 2011 SharePoint (https://glennopedia.com/2016/02/27/how- ... eb-in-sbs/)