Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
agrob
Veteran
Liked: 53 times
Full Name: Andre

GFS Weekly Monthly Schedule

Post by agrob »

Good Day

I have a question about GFS Tape Jobs and haven't found the answer after a quick search.
If i have a job which uses a GFS Pool and i configure the job like:

Weekly Backup: Saturday
Monthly Backup: First Saturday of the Month

Does Veeam create two backups on the first Saturday of each month? A Weekly and a Monthly Backup to Tape the same time or does it skip the Weekly Backup because the Monthly is taken the same day?

Thanks
Best Regards
André
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Re: GFS Weekly Monthly Schedule

Post by soncscy » 1 person likes this post

Hey André,

Veeam will use the elder mediaset in this case. From the GFS "how it works" part in the user guide, it seems that in all cases when a point matches multiple GFS points, it's written to the eldest mediaset that applies.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Harvey is right. In case of the very same dates backup will land only to the elder media set, but if you set different dates - multiple full backups will be created. Daily media set is the only one that keeps backups for every day, but also relies on weekly full (so all increments will be linked to weekly full backup, while full backup goes to the weekly set). Cheers!
agrob
Veteran

Post by agrob »

Thanks Dima P and soncscy. I'm not sure if i understand it correct. So if i have the schedule for weekly backup and for monthly backup on the same day in GFS Job, which job does run? The monthly, right? so the later daily backup will relie on the monthly full until the next weekly full will be placed on tape?

Cheers
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

So if i have the schedule for weekly backup and for monthly backup on the same day in GFS Job, which job does run? The monthly, right?
Yes.
so the later daily backup will relie on the monthly full until the next weekly full will be placed on tape?
Correct.
agrob
Veteran

Post by agrob »

Thanks Dima :)