Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Zew
Veteran
Liked: 80 times
Full Name: Aemilianus Kehler

Seed onsite?

Post by Zew »

Quick question, not sure if it will work....

I got a new server for a cold site, I added the server via DNS name with local IP to vCenter.

I create and add a Windows VM on this host and install transport service, as to act as a vsphere proxy, added as a proxy via DNS name pointing again to a local IP.

Create the replication jobs, seed the datastore.

Disconnect the host from vcenter, disable the proxy in Veeam.

Move the server and give it a new mgmt IP, change the proxy IP as well to alternative site subnet. Change local DNS records to point to new IP addresses (for both the host and teh proxy on the host). ensure cache is cleared and updated on all servers.

Re-connect host to vCenter, re-enable the proxy.

Will this work, or am I simply better setting up the new server already at the alternative site and use the "replica seeding" option when creating the replication job? (yes the cold site already has a managed server with a repo to host backups).

Thanks for any details. :)
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Seed onsite?

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

I've never tested this scenario and in fact it's difficult to say will it work or not in your particular case. I'd recommended to opt for the officially supported scenario with replica seeding.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Aemilianus, since you've re-registered the host in Center, VMs will get the new VM IDs and you would need to map repication jobs to them, causing digests re-calculation. Seeding replicas from the cold site backups would be easier.
Zew
Veteran

Post by Zew »

Foggy i know about that, that's why I stated disconnect host mot remove host from inventory.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Got it, I took 'disconnect' as 'unregister', my bad. ;)
Zew
Veteran

Post by Zew »

Thanks guys, I'll simply seed some heavier VMs using this method to see if it works, and leave all others for the recommended way, and report my findings.
This way if it works I got the heavest hitters ready to go, otherwise it's just like having a blank host at the cold site anyway, just blitz these VMs since it didn't work as expected.
Zew
Veteran

Post by Zew »

One last thing, I noticed my managed server is a linux server with the connection to the backup data, this server can't be added or used as a Veeam Proxy it seems.

Does this setup require a Veeam Proxy at the Cold site? Or would it still work just be using like NBD mode to get the CBT data over?
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

There is no mandatory requirement for proxy location, data transfer is performed between two Data Movers. In case of seeding enabled, these Data Movers will be running on repository and target proxy server accordingly during the first job run. In most cases it's better to specify a target proxy at this step of replication job creation wizard in order to provide better performance, for example you may setup a Windows VM at the Cold site and assign a role of proxy to this VM. Veeam will select an appropriate proxy automatically if you don't select a specific one in job settings.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Just FYI, virtual Linux servers can be used as Veeam B&R proxies.
Zew
Veteran

Post by Zew »

is it cause the Host that's running my linux VM (managed server on veeam) is not managed by the vCenter Veeam is using/connected to? (why it doesn't show up as a possible proxy to add)
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

The VM should be reachable by DNS/IP from Veeam server so just follow these instructions to add Linux server, once done you can assign the proxy role to this server.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Since Linux proxy is using hotadd, it should reside under the same vCenter (same datacenter actually) as the processed VMs.
Zew
Veteran

Post by Zew »

Hey Petr, yes as that's like the basics 101 to add a managed server to the Veeam server. Which it is already successfully added as a managed server but when I go to add proxy I noticed I could never add this server as a proxy.

Hey Alexander, great to see you again, and that's exactly what I thought too. However if it's not a requirement, then why can't I pick it to add as a proxy?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Probably you misread my statement, this is actually a requirement - the VM that is supposed to be a Linux proxy should belong to the same datacenter object in vSphere.
Zew
Veteran

Post by Zew » 2 people like this post

Ahh ok, makes sense, also explains the outcome I see. Going to redesign stuff anyway. Thanks again for everything you guys are great.
Zew
Veteran

Post by Zew » 1 person likes this post

I'm just here to report, my idea worked. You can seed this way if you need to. However I haven't testing change the source... but without changing the source it shows to have worked.
Of course speeds are slow as expected based on the network between the sites.